Repairing a wooden boat mast.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small sailing boat with a wooden mast which when rigged rests in the bilge of the boat. The mast is 30 years old and currently in useable condition but it is anticipated in time will suffer rot to the bottom few inches. I will then need to effect a repair. I have read that others have scarfed extensions to the mast with varying success but I am planning a more straightforward & reliable solution.

Having cut away the rotted portion I am planning to replace the lost portion with a piece of tubing. This could be stainless, aluminium or composite (GRP). The mast is around 67mm diameter and I would wish to reduce this diameter by about 6mm to form a shoulder to sit on the end of the tube. Inside diameter of tubing would need to be about 61mm with a wall thickness of at least 3mm.

Alloy & Stainless will be easiest to find but I wonder if anyone knows where I might be able to find a short length of composite? I need to determine an industry using such tubing then enquire about the possibility of aquiring an offcut.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back