repairing broken cornice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to repair a b roken section of cornice using a stiff mix of bonding and then skimming over? i removed an archway in my lounge and snapped off the botom section of the moulded cornice about 90cm length x 5cm dep at the thickest part. ive got one of those profile making tools for cutting tiles, so i thought i could use this to cut a template from hardboard and drag this over the bonding to get the right shape. apologies if this sounds like a crazy idea

Sponsored Links
It's a good idea but I'd use something like plasterboard adhesive or cove adhesive which will stick better and is easier to work. PVA the arch first though.

joe

cheers joe,

there isnt actually an arch there now, i've rmoved it and studded out the opening and plasterboarded it up to and under where the cornice is snapped. The reason I was going to use bonding is i've got about qtr of a bag left from another room i was doing, would it bo ok to use this or for the sake of a few quid buy a bag of board adhesive. If i use this would i need to scim over it or can i just paint it once its dried out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back