Repairing cast iron gutter

Lead sheet is coded, 1 being the lightest, 8 being the heaviest.
code relates to lb per square foot..ie code 4 weighs 4lb per square foot in old money.
the valley would probably be code 5 and is worn with age.

The back face of the gutter rots first as it is in permanent shade from the overhanging roof covering, the gutter starts fracturing on the line between the bottom and back of gutter..i have lifted gutters off in the past where the front face and the bottom have came away leaving the rusted back still attached.
In over 35yrs of working on heritage buildings in Edinburgh old town i have never seen or done a repair that has lasted any great amount of time.
You can still buy them! around £90 for a 2m length.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Alastair. Interesting, that you say £90 for 2m. I was quoted around £1800 for an alloy replacement (parts only). I'm not sure the exact length but it can't be much more than about 12m, even with the curves around the bay, which would be significantly lower than the alloy quote.

To be honest the damage I repaired to the back didn't seem like it was due to corrosion, it seemed like it had been damaged by a person, and in general it looked like whoever fitted or refitted it last time hadn't done a great job. It makes sense though, the bit that did look the most corroded was in the inside corner section above the porch where it would be in the lee of the wind and getting all the splashing from the gutter. I'll keep an eye on it.

What is it you do in Edinburgh, are you a roofer?

Last edited:
Spigot & socket were the traditional names for male & female ends of CI gutterings.

Its my experience on site that the typical modern terms are male & female.
This keeps things simple & avoids confusion given the common use of spigot and socket for down pipes & outlets.
I've never heard or read in the Mfr's literature the use of sprocket for a male CI gutter end.

Where do I imply that it doesn't rot from the back? Quote please?
You & your reference are referring to CI fixed to a fascia (what you call "a plate fixed to rafter ends") not to CI sitting on a ledge.
Even your ref. explains that moisture sitting inside the gutter will rot the gutter out.
Plus, many kinds of fixings and brackets can be used - not just "coach bolts".

My point referred to the corrosive moisture between the stone ledge & the bottom of the gutter.

A CI gutter rotted from below will split just as easily as a gutter rotted from the back - so dont get sanctimonious about safety.

Please quote where I gave "inaccurate advice" and compromised safety?

Sponsored Links
OP,
The bottom of the gutter that I'm referring to is the external bottom of the gutter thats in touch with the stone ie. sitting in a pool of condensation. the stone.

Perhaps you would like to post about the chimney damp difficulties in the building forum?

Where do I imply that it doesn't rot from the back? Quote please?

You implied the main point of rot was from the base of the gutter omitting the main point of corrosion which is the back of the gutter..the main fixing point for gutters of this type...my reference to face plate/fascia is for the benefit of diyers...

A little knowledge can be dangerous.

Have you reincarnated yourself from a previously pedantic poster? i recognise your style.

Game over - game, set & match you lost. But, out of politeness, I'll show you where and how you went wrong.

I "implied the main point of rot was from the base of the gutter" - How did I "imply" this, where, show me? Quotes please?

"gutters of this type" - but as I showed above you are in confusion about exactly where, & how, the guttering you & your man are talking about is located

Your "reference to the face plate/fascia is for the benefit of diyers" Oh, so giving out duff advice is your method of advising DIY'ers. Way to go.

Your ref to a "plate" is a quoted copy from the wonky advice site you referenced.
And now, in liying panic, you change your words in an attempt to rescue yourself - thus: Post #21 is your first mention of "face plate/fascia" - you had not mentioned that before, not even to "diyers".

Well, you certainly have a little knowledge about a little liying.

Keep digging.
Your advice in this post is rubbish...no amount of blather can change that.

Very sad, for a man of such self proclaimed technical ability you run away at the first bump.
Its wrong to deceive - you know that? And cowardly to scamper away.
You have lied and evaded and, by your own admission, handed out duff advice - but only to "diyers".
You, the wonder of the north, who, it turns out, cannot answer a few simple technical questions.

Game over - game, set & match you lost.

Lost what?

your inaccurate advice and reaction to accurate advice and inability to accept criticism speaks volumes about you.

Im now convinced you are the re-incarnation of a pedantic previous poster with another user name!

The op has the advice he was seeking...

What a loser, what a bad loser you are.

You sad, sad liar, now you are shooting yourself in both feet - check out your Olympic size pedantic posts #16 & #18, yes, yes my utterly foolish man, your attempts at self enhancement are precisely the self-set traps that a pedantic ignoramus would blunder into.
They illustrate by example exactly what a pedantic poseur you are. Glad you brought the subject up.

What on earth did they teach you in your claimed scholastic years?

If you have half the experience that you claim then whats to stop you answering my simple questions?

Youre squirming!
If you devoted as much time into giving accurate advice as you have to your name calling!!!
Anyway...the ops properly informed! I'll leave you drowning in your own bile till the next time your crap advice needs corrected.
Hope you've sobered up.

You claim a massive technical background but you cant answer a few simple technical questions - how come?
As soon as you were put on the spot that showed up your technical ignorance you jumped in feet first to attack the man not the argument - its called diverting attention, aka a panic attack.

Please note I dont resort to anything but technical issues until I'm personally attacked then I politely attack back.

Please answer the questions, they should be so simple for a man of your claimed background - unless you've been liying about that as well?

What's the question vinny?
I don't mind helping you out.

Last edited:
I think you two should meet in a room and have a.................................dance off.

The choice of dance would be decided by the roll of a dice.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back