repairing concrete floor ahead of vinyl installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm in the process of sorting out a few bits in the house, which includes replacing the manky hall carpet with some vinyl downstairs to keep things a bit easier to clean (two hyper greyhounds and a 10 year old) and discovered the floor under the old carpet has been tiled at some point, i assume witht he same brown tiles that are in the cupboard in kitchen, and under the livingroom carpet, held down with black adhesive. the adhesive doesnt go right to the walls so i dont think it's actually the dpc, but i could be wrong. there's a band of different looking adhesive residue at the back door, on top of the black stuff, which sits slightly higher, so i'd assume sanding this back is an option.
i also found some cracking at the front and back doors, i expect from removal of the old wooden door a few year ago by the previous owners.

how can i sort this out so the vinyl flooring doesnt look a total mess? do i need to screed the floor?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Probably would benefit from a liquid DPM (if on the ground floor) then a thin screed of self-levelling compound

I have (two layers of) vinyl tiles on a concrete floor, I find they break up when I try to scrape them off. have heard some people use a spade or shovel. What did you use?

Sponsored Links
I have (two layers of) vinyl tiles on a concrete floor, I find they break up when I try to scrape them off. have heard some people use a spade or shovel.
Shovel works. So does a floor bully (floor scraper), with a 2in wide woodworking chisel and a hammer for the really awkward bits......

I'd go for a good Scrape and remove any loose adhesive then screed with Ardex NA or stopgap 1200 pro.
Putting a DPM down would help too if you don't think there is on under the concrete.

Given that there was carpet down, it's highly unlikely that DPM is necessary but hey, ho, for the sake of £30 or so, better safe than sorry. Either before or after this, then levelling compound is lovely stuff (don't overwork it, it's meant to be runny hence it's name ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back