Repairing cracks in bricks from historical settlement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I live in a period 1870s mid-terrace and am thinking of selling. But there are some unsightly cracks in the wall of the central passageway that separates my house from my neighbour. The cracks run straight through the bricks and mortar but haven;t changed in the 10 years i've been here. When I bought it I only had the basic survey and it wasn't picked up as alarming, but I worry what someone else may think so. The house has ancient slightly trapezoidal shaped doors so this settling happened many many moons ago and there are no internal cracks in the plaster.

The question is, is it possible to repair these cracks 'invisibly' and then repaint the passageway so that it looks respectable? They are about 3 mm at widest, but as I say, they run straight through the bricks.

(The reason is that the mortar, so I'm told by a builder who did some work here, is very very hard and allows no give or settlement.)

Sponsored Links
Perhaps my question is long winded, the simple question is: is it possible to repair cracks that run through bricks to a neat standard and paint over without t looking a mess? Ir is this not usually done?

cheers

Give us a pic, Jamie if you can!
It seems like there's nothing to stop you just squeezing some sand and cement mix into those cracks and then going over with some masonry paint, if that's what you want.
John :)

Yes - as Burnerman said.

Fill the gaps carefully though so that it doesn't look like a patch up job. Fresh paint or mortar is always going to arouse curiosity in a surveyor who may suspect you are covering something more serious.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back