Repairing creaking floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have noted the various other topics where you can cure the dreaded creaking floorboard by screwing them down nice and tight, my issue is that before we moved into our house, new carpets were laid and I hate the idea of having to pull them up.

a. Is there a magic solution (he says hopefully) where the carpet does not have to be pulled

b. If I have to pull them up, how easy is it to re-lay ?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
oddballodd said:
a. Is there a magic solution (he says hopefully) where the carpet does not have to be pulled
I don't think you have much choice :cry:
b. If I have to pull them up, how easy is it to re-lay ?
You will need a knee kicker to scretch the carpet back tight or sometime you can get away with it, failing that a carpet fitter may do it for drink money ;)

masona said:
You will need a knee kicker to scretch the carpet back tight or sometime you can get away with it, failing that a carpet fitter may do it for drink money ;)
or you may get away with the classic runing and jumping accros the room in your trainers (-come on Im sure Im not the only one!)

Sponsored Links
oddballodd said:
Is this some urban legend ?
haha i dont know how best to demonstrate the tequnique an i dont think there will be such a video on youtube. but basically when you fit/ refit a carpet you need to stretch it out onto the grippers and right uptothe skirtings, which is what a knee kicker thing is for, but i run accross the room jump and stop dead on the carpet transfering my momentum into the carpet so it moves/ stretches into the edges of the room.

-come on someone else admit it! Im not the only one! :oops:

sm1thson said:
masona said:
or you may get away with the classic runing and jumping accros the room in your trainers (-come on Im sure Im not the only one!)
Just make sure the hamster is still in the cage :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back