Repairing cut joists around a hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'd be grateful for experienced input on this. Basically I think the previous owner made mistakes cutting this hatch, making 1 and a 1/2 random cuts in the joists, his fix is in the picture.

Hopefully from the picture you can see where it's at now. The full cut joist has m10 bolts, the other is screwed but I might bolt it as well.

I only went into this hoping to fit some architrave and do some filling below, but noticed there was movement and that this was a bit precarious (one nail through the headers to the joists, that's the reason for the noggins).

I think the loft floor will get properly boarded at some point so it would be neccessary to remove his bits of timber ontop. All my fixes at the moment are tempoary (no glue), because I was worried the proper thing to do is to bolt on full length joists (the loft is packed at the moment so not possible, I'm doing this for family). Will this actually ever be neccessary? I think compared to the rest of the work/construction of the roof this fix is solid, hoping for pragmatic advice.

Thank you, hope this wasn't too long, Louis

loftPIC1.jpg loftPIC2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Might be OK as there is a lot of overlap on the joists that have been bolted/screwed in but do the trimming/header joists fix to them adequately, or are they still only attached to the damaged joists?

Doubt that the noggins make any difference if the trimmer joists are inadequate.

I'm not an expert though, this company offer joist repair systems and may be able to advise/supply a product.

https://www.joist-repair.co.uk/joist_repair_shop.htm

There also many other threads on this site.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back