Repairing fences in wet soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the recent storms, my garden has taken a bit of a battering.

My wooden fences along a side of my garden are all leaning towards the ground with one panel completely pulled down and split away from the posts.

I have checked the posts, and they don't appear to have snapped in two by the wind, but the damp soil they sit in just seems to have given way. Where the wind has pushed the posts, there are big mounds of soil round each post. Moving the post back upright, is easy enough but the hole in which it sits is so insecure now that it doesn't take much to fall back down.

I think what I need to do is secure the posts securely in the ground (looks like the house builder just did a quick/cheap job whacking it in soil). How would I go about this? My first thought was to buy a load of quick setting cement and just pore it into and around the hole.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've never done any work on fences in my life!

Many thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
When the wind dies down, excavate the soil around the base of the posts, and knock the posts in as far as you can. Bash some stones / old bricks or whatever into the base to give it some support and then pour concrete in, tamping it well down. The deeper the posts go, the better, obviously.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back