Replace a fence which has collapsed due to with soil erosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My lap fencing is falling down as a result of neglect but maily due to soil erosion from my garden!

My garden backs onto a public footpath and a neibors garden both of which are several feet lower than the soil on my land and so this has started to slide away causing my fence to collapse.

I have some new fence panels, concreate posts and concrete base boards arriving next week but would like some advice on what I can do to prevent future erosion causing the same problem!

Also, I have never put up a fence before and so expect it is going to take me at least a few days (6 posts, five panels).

Due to my garden backing onto a public footpath I dont want to remove all of the existing fence and prepare all of the ground etc. in one go as this would leave my garden open. Am I OK to just put the first two panels in to replace the ones that have totally collapsed and then do the other panels one at a time or will doing it this way cause additional problems?

Any other advice for a first timer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
have a look at the Replace Fence thread ive just done an answer there.

you should go deeper with post holes if your neighbour gardens slipping away. would be worth using a concrete gravel board below ground level to stop the soil erosion.
you can do a few panels at a time, but youll probaly find that once you get the first one or two in youll get the knack off it and you'll get it done reasonably quickly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back