Repairing gutter fascia on Victorian terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a Victorian terrace. At the back of the house part of the guttering is hanging down in one corner causing all of the rain to run down the wall. This weekend I went up a ladder to inspect what was there. Attached is a photo of the current board, its looking kind of dried out and well weather worn. Should I give it a few coats of paint and reattach it or best to strip it off and put up a new board?

Z-JXMRWtnX6-wS1OuhlIhzy_q0cLQIEO__rt5GSOo5AaJDsE00ngbSiKq0mz91Y-ltbp_IwiKZcqqDMFcMwB-4k5DBEc-iKl68C9T4muPXiKCYxv1zXDXmSywNMXVg_WtM5DVCb06RWvYY3Vc18iRi2DhkxWJNaSCEQxNTd-P58RaNLgTRBYV87lUQVzc7S7tQjADVIDXYN30gGiEJ68yXgLUXs9ofGemVwH_DbxZeqvTilT2MYOrm0I53aAelxZcCxxOKCa7JleU4nUmDyssSiNOEc4gB9z-Zr0P091dC8SfAnEn7mrGQBbeFrIjJQ3p0bZ-LCS3lhVLqJd_VP5joh0knJfEMvhryr3lgb7Zo_mhcyYMo_Mg6XRbGg4ehTgCMQfMaYvvduGL_UiOBr6QPPs9nLQB7Wxtfs_Dm8jEKZ71wXQVmtZuyw_e3292E19tP_WVo9KKaut7Zt1E8DNEE9NyXfaXuQnVxCW3ITmwB8_evoNEiSiWBfiW9CVgl6St139PhgvfPqsu2fjTVsPr0J-j7wUQSp5NPeMV6C-6xj2P3hLs9xjVlwAuoGNgCY0537NauF113tGbETg65yvN8ywpipKLlslPNzDwg9rjNsfbXmfuhDL8g=w1707-h960-no

Sponsored Links
Its password protected and your name is not on the list,neither is my name.

download.jpg

Sponsored Links
You will need a plastic eaves tray between the slates and the gutter, or water is just going to get back on that timber and rot it away.

Make sure you re-align the gutter with a fall, and that will stop that mini garden growing

As above. However, they look like asbestos eternits to me. You might get lucky and ease a tray under.

As suggested above, a tray eased under the felt and Eternits might work given that a ragged edge of felt can be seen - however, if you hit felt fixings (clout nails) you would have to lift the starter courses of Eternits to have access.

My experience with this kind of situation has been to remove the gutter and the fascia.
If the fascia is useable it can be sanded and painted but its best to go back with a Pvc fascia - no maintenance.
And, as above, re-fix the gutter to falls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back