Repairing hacked off stair nosing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lifted the laminate found this hacked off nosing. All other treads are fine
How do I repair?
We will be laying carpet in the long run.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 15192536125152808149246410194659.jpg
    15192536125152808149246410194659.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 298
Sponsored Links
If you've got a router and a circular saw then get a chunk of timber same thickness as the tread, rout the front edge to give you the bullnose, cut the front edge off (so you end up with about 25mm or whatever you need for the tread to project the right amount), screw and glue it to the tread. Or don't bother, carpet will hide the difference.....

Thanks @oldbutnotdead
Mostly worried that the carpet will be damaged by the edge. Sounds with a go, shall I use the circular saw to tidy up the rough edge first? Or the router? How can I make sure the edges match up properly between the new timber and existing?

what ever you use you will need to use a oscillating saw and or chisel to finish any cut you do close to the string so maybe nail a baton and use an oscillating saw along the front face full length anyway just cut the bullnose first and set the baton up accordingly
if your routering a bull nose it needs to be on a plane plank as you cant router up to a closed edge in situ
you can buy treading material with bull nose edge

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
More great tips, thanks @big-all that's one of my jobs now this weekend, feel much more confident and prepared. I have a router , chisels and circular saw but not an oscillating saw.
Any more suggestions just let me know!
I will let you know how it goes.(y)

my advice
cut it off parallel at a point in front off the rebate under the nosing if possible to avoid the need to rebate the new section
cut off the nosing about 3" longer than you think it needs to initially from the new bit
clean out the housing in the string side for the nosing to go into
just clean it to the face off the newel on that side as there is far less supporting that side off the tread
leave it long and angle to fit neatly in the string side
you should be over length by about an inch or more now
shape the newel end to fit the profile [return end curve] as this will show you have plenty off meat so just go for a good look but a bit long
trim from the string end to get to length
are you buying or routering the nose ??

Thanks again, I'll just router a nosing if I can manage as I have the machine already from fitting the hob.

Would Pu glue be ok and screw it on once I get it to the right size, or normal white wood glue? I have both in stock.

if its a good fit use normal wood glue if many deviations pu and tape underneath
choose a slightly smaller roundover bit than the radius as you need between 1 and 3mm for the bearing to run on
if you use the exact size you may get a very small step
curve a nose on one end using a sander so when you router it its the correct profile for the visible end

Ok that's great thanks, watch this space!. I'm lucky I just need it good enough to not damage the carpet, but I'll try to do your help justice in the finished product:D(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back