Repairing hole in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please!

I need to repair 2 holes in plasterboard. The previous owner of this flat decided to lead the 'phone or modem cable from the lounge to the bedroom through the wall. No probs with that but I think I might have managed more subtly than hacking a squinty rectangle through the lounge wall and then through another ( non matching ) squinty hole in the built in wardrobe next door. These holes are right in the middle of the longest wall and look as though they have been done with a blunt bread knife!

As I'd like to be able to have the sofa somewhere other than hiding the holes, can anyone explain the easiest way to repair them, please? The holes are uneven in dimension but about 7cms x 3.5 cms.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
while in jewson yesterday i saw a new product,to me at least,plasterboard patch's.ive never used them so dont know how good they are but you could look into them.
the other option is,the old faithful,expanding foam.

Get some plasterboard & cut a square larger then the untidy hole you already have; place square over the hole & draw around the edge; trim the hole out with a pad saw or craft knife slightly larger so you have a gap of about 1 ½ mm all the way around; stick the square into hole with grab adhesive so it’s about 1 ½ mm below the surface, use adhesive tape to locate & hold the patch in position until the adhesive sets (try not to drop it inside the wall :LOL: ); remove tape & fill out to the surrounding area when dry, sand flush & paint.

or do what richard suggests and slide 2 battens into the whole,screw through the exisiting p.board into the battens,then screw the new p.board into the battens.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks all! Now, what's the best grab adhesive to buy? Thanks again.

Many thanks all! Now, what's the best grab adhesive to buy? Thanks again.

It's got to be "Sticks Like Sh*t" for me,,, made by Evo-Stik, great stuff,, but i normally go the way Chukka mentioned with wood slipped inside the hole,, screwed, and then the plasterboard patch fitted.
Whatever way you go, dont forget to tape all around the edges of the new patch.

Okay,if I do the battens bit, do I have to use any particular type of screw incase of rusting etc or if I fill over them, will that prevent any rusting/discolouration?

Thank you all for your help, it's much appreciated :D

I use 50mm drywall screws through the p/board, and into the wood, although you could use slightly smaller. They're made for the job, and are available in any DIY shed/builder merchants.

I use 50mm drywall screws through the p/board, and into the wood
Or just stick bits of wood to the back of the plaster board with grab adhesive but let it set before you try & stick the plaster board square to the front of them. I use a 110mm hole cutter in ceilings to gain access when running new lighting cables or on rewires; I save the discs & stick them back in again afterwards. I will tape them if I’m re-skimming the ceiling but some I’ve just filled flush; it will usually be OK on such a small piece of plasterboard as once it’s glued in there as it becomes an integral part of the board.

I've found B&Q own brand grab adhesive to be as good as any I've tried.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back