Repairing hole in wall, right by UPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I removed some UPVC trim that was yellowing from around a window.
My intention is to replace it.

However, it seems to of ripped a hole in the side of the wall (See photo)

How can i repair it?
There doesnt seem to be anything i can stick anything on to!

Sponsored Links
Is that a cavity/void?

If yes then how deep?

If not too deep you could use expanding foam

If very deep then use minimal expanding foam in a number of hits.

Mask the window frame. Spray a mist of water onto the part of the frame in the cavity. Run a bead of foam, leave to harden then repeat, this time making the foam stick to the foam that has already stuck to the frame.

When finished remove any foam that is proud of the wall, with a knife or sand paper and fill with red devil One time filler.

It will always be weaker than the rest of the wall but it will suffice and resist cracking

A better method would be to "glue" sheets of plasterboard over the recesses and then make good where they meet the internal walls

I'd cut a neat rectangular hole in the plasterboard, about 8" wide, up to the height of the hole. I'd then fix a few pieces of timber so that i could screw a new piece of plasterboard into place,,, a much stronger job.

hi roughcaster

what will you fix the timber to?

To be honest I can't work out why the cavity is there.

Sponsored Links
thats the thing-
it's not plasterboard... i can't work out why the cavity is their either!!

very... like... the width of the wall
Either side of the "hole" is bricks... i think.

So they are cavity walls? Possibly without insulation?

I would probably go for the expanding foam then given that you cant cut away for timber as roughcaster suggested.

The foam would also have advantageous thermal properties.

hi roughcaster

what will you fix the timber to?

To be honest I can't work out why the cavity is there.

If you cut out more of the area, you might get a better idea of what you're looking at. The old board already on the wall must be fixed to something. If it's cut out towards the left, you might find an upright stud, from which you might be able to fix 2 or 3 horizontal noggins, to another upright piece of timber, jammed/fixed to the wall, on the opposite side of the hole, (beside the glazed door),, making a frame for the board to screw onto???

Thornfield said the wall board is not plasterboard,,, what is it????

it seems to be just plaster... but on to thin air?
it's really weird.. i'll have a better look tomorrow...

Complete speculation here but I guess that the upvc was retro fitted and that the original wooden frames were thicker, meaning that the gap at the bottom of the image was initially small enough to wedge the plaster/render into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back