Repairing plaster - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm planning on repairing some cracked and hollow plaster in my spare bedroom. I plan to remove the affected area probably back to brick. So heres what i propose to do: 1. PVA or dampen the brick then do a sand and cement base.
2.PVA or dampen the sand cement base then apply some patching plaster, maybe polyfill.
Would this be the right way to do it? If i use PVA then how much? Do i apply the sand cement when pva is dry? Just a few things i need to get straight before i start. Thanks. Phil

Sponsored Links
Whats on the wall at the moment?

Normally I would remove the excess, if it's quite thick then I wont PVA, i will fill out with one coat plaster, rule off flush with the wall and then once it's firming up trowel it in a little. once that has set i will apply and sand as many coats of easy fill are required to get an acceptable finish.

Its plaster and the undercoat is that browning stuff, our house is a 1950s construction. Some of the browning is crumbling so thats why i think its best to knock that off too. Phil

I would use the same basecoat than the existing one, so browning.
This can be applied at depths of about 12mm, anymore and I would be thinking of a couple of visits.
The walls can be dampened down prior to applying basecoat, you can also apply finishing coats to the browning, as starts to firm up, no need to wait for it to completely dry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, thats made it clear. So can i not use sand cement as a basecoat even if i'm applying it 2 bare brick? Phil

Let's take a step back for a minute. You say the undercoat is Browning,, but has it a dusty, "sandy" texture,, the colour of sand,, that powders away as you rub your hands over it? A pic would be very handy.

Hello roughcaster, it is how you describe it. I have posted a pic.
Plaster.jpg

I say its browning because thats what i've been told it is.
Phil

I would not use Polyfill, it is hard to sand. For small areas Easi-fill is much easier to use. I don't know how wide and deep you can go with it though. I'm a novice, and a builder doing some work for me recommended Easi-fill. I've done invisible patches to 6" across without much difficulty.

Thanks for the replies. The plaster that i intend to repair is old so i suppose it is to be expected. I'd be more worried if it was new plaster! Phil

haha wassnt too sure it looked like either a really zoomed in pic or not and the plaster was mega thick.
im not sure if that is browning mate could be a lime coat, scratch it a bit and see if thiers hairs and small stones in the coat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back