Repairing plaster around new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

I'm in the process of flush mounting some new sockets in our 1900's built Victorian terrace, and was after some advice on the best way to make good... I'm generally handy at DIY, but haven't done any plastering yet...

This is what the area looks like currently...
u2XFozD.jpg

Unfortunately whilst chasing out the stone walls, most of the existing plaster below the sockets came loose, so I've got quite a bit to fill in... It's probably about 10-15mm deep across most of the area...

I've seen some recommendations around using browning or bonding plaster, both to seat/level the back boxes and also to provide a base coat below the sockets to skim over the top of... I've also seen Hardwall mentioned

Any preference to one or the other? Tips on how to proceed?
Also, any essential tools that I need to get the job done?

Thanks in advance.

Gav

Sponsored Links
hi gav. ive done a small diy like this recently. firstly i would fit your back boxes to the wall, try to make them level, ive always used screws and wrallplugs but there may be better methods. once they are all fitted, get your electrics done, you can get the sockets wired in place and leave the whole in the wall. however make sure you buy some of these

http://www.yoozybox.co.uk/plasterguards

i bought a set from the above and they work perfectly, althought you will need to get some extra long screws which they should sell as well.

the idea is you fit the above to your metal back box, then fix the plugs and faces to the yoozybox, you can then use the plugs while you plaster. and mess about.

once its all installed, get some bonding plaster, and fill the wholes in, travis perkins seem to do the same stuff my professional plasterers used so possibly try there or similar supply places.

fill the whole to just below level with bonding plaster and wait for it to set. then get your skim coat plaster and do a 3mm ish coat of that. do a search on you tube for the how to videos.

when your done you should have plaster all the way around the socket with enough of a lip for the sockets to sit nicely against the wall, you remove the yoozybox and job done

oh yeah dont forget to leave them in place while you paint, means you paint behind the sockets and make a top job

DeadBeat, cheers for the link on those YoozyBox's... I was planning on getting some of the card-board blank-it's, but they look much better value :)

Like the fact that they do lids aswell, so I can keep my shiny new faceplates safe...

Drilling for wrallplugs is likely to prove challenging due to stone walls, uneven surfaces etc... Might be able to get it if the boxes are stuck in place using bonding plaster first though :)

Sponsored Links
not sure they cover the faceplates, but i havent looked at the lids. and they are really cheap which is a bonus

not sure they cover the faceplates, but i havent looked at the lids. and they are really cheap which is a bonus
Ah, I meant i can leave my faceplates off and just put a lid on at 1st fix point :)

Quick update after yesterday's activities...

I ended up getting a bag of hardwall plaster, and started by brushing everything down.
I then mixed a small batch in a painters kettle to see how easy it is to mix, consistency etc...
exRaVY6.jpg

Stuck the first couple of boxes in, first mix was a bit wet though...

In the end I made 3 mixes to stick all the boxes in, and then a final mix to level off...
4e17c1m.jpg

End result:
OsWVRjn.jpg

However at the end I spotted that the sockets are some 10-15mm shy from the original wall line... :(
k3Vyq7I.jpg

It's going to be under a desk once the room is furnished though, so if I cant get it perfectly level it's not the biggest issue...

Cheers
Gav

they dont have to be level, you just need the plaster to be level, that's where the yoozybox's come in, fit them up, then you can plster up and around them, when you remove them, you have a perfect square plaster ready to screw the faceplates too.
looks like a nice job so far tho

they dont have to be level, you just need the plaster to be level, that's where the yoozybox's come in, fit them up, then you can plster up and around them, when you remove them, you have a perfect square plaster ready to screw the faceplates too.
looks like a nice job so far tho
That's true... Might just need some longer screws if they're 15mm back... Lol...

Always better being a few mm back, rather than sticking out proud. As you said, just get longer screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back