Repairing/Renovating Large Warderobe - Inlaid/Marquetry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a very large (2m x 2m) "wardrobe" that we use in our entrance way for storage. We inherited with the house because the previous owner couldn't get rid of it. I am going to show my ignorance here - I can see on the inside that it is made of a reddish wood, but the outside has a highly varnished(?) finish and the doors have some inlaid marquetry (photo below).

Whilst I appreciate the workmanship I don't particularly like the cupboard, but it is practical and made of wood rather than chipboard, and I haven't found anyone who wants to take it, even for free. So I was hoping I could keep it and tidy it up a bit.

The finish is in reasonable condition, the inlay is still in place, the only issue is that a couple of the panels surrounding the central mirror element have slightly lifted and the joins are not flat.

I was thinking of doing the following:
- taking off the gold detailing and the top arch, which is loose anyway,
- sanding it to remove the shiny coat,
- refinishing it with something more mat,
- change the handles.

Is this even possible? Or would this be a terrible thing to do to this bit of furniture. Btw I am in France so this type of stuff is everywhere, hence the lack of interest.

Many thanks,
Gill

Attachments

• 20230412_133701.jpg
    20230412_133701.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230412_133718.jpg
    20230412_133718.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230412_133711.jpg
    20230412_133711.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230412_133738.jpg
    20230412_133738.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
If I had to keep it, in addition to removing the gold leaf/changing handles etc I would probably paint it some kind of pastel colour. A muted duck egg of something.

If I had to keep it, in addition to removing the gold leaf/changing handles etc I would probably paint it some kind of pastel colour. A muted duck egg of something.
I was thinking about this. But I am a bit worried that where there are gaps in wood (around the mirror and slightly on the doors) it would be very obvious. If I did paint it, could I fill these first?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking about this. But I am a bit worried that where there are gaps in wood (around the mirror and slightly on the doors) it would be very obvious. If I did paint it, could I fill these first?
If you want to paint fill and sand any gaps ( two part flexible car filler is ideal)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back