Repairing sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been doing some research and have decided to renovate my sash windows as opposed to replacing them. I had a couple of companies around but I wasn't particularly impressed by what they would do for the money and it seems to me that there will still be a shed load of work for me to do once they have finished. I have therefore decided to have a go myself. The good thing is there is one window that is now internal so I can have a crack at that one without leaving the house insecure.

I am fairly confident I can remove them with minimal damage, draught proof them, replace the cords, balance the weight and rehang but there are a couple of other questions I have.

1. Whilst there is minimal rot on most windows the bottom rails are a little softer in parts than I would like, mainly where condensation has gathered on the inside where the glass meets the frame. Once I remove the glass can I use a chemical wood hardener to treat the softer areas. The areas aren't soft enough to be crumbling away but would be better if they where harder.

2. is it worth putting slimline double glazed units in? Some of the glass panes are cracked so will need replacing anyway. I suppose K glass is an option? I have read that it may not be worth doing?

3. If fitting new glass or double glazed units is it worth routing the aperture so it's slightly larger as well as deeper?

4. Is the outside cill normally a separate piece fixed to the bottom rail of the window frame?

5. Is the outside trim normally separate from the frame so when splicing in new timber i wouldn't have to replace a section through the entire frame?

Thanks in anticipation.

D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back