Repairing stair tread with dowels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have to repair a stair tread that has split along the front edge.
I'm thinking of putting glue in the split, then putting a couple of screws in to close the split. Then using five dowels to reinforce the join. Finally removing the screws and filling the holes.
The split is about 3 cm from the front of the tread, so I figure I'm going to need 6 cm dowels.
I've never made a dowel joint so was wondering how tight a fit they are, and whether I'm going to have a problem inserting the dowels? What would be the best glue to use?
Does this sound like a sensible solution? Any recommendations/advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dauph

Sponsored Links
Wood glue is extremely strong so I would expect dowelling to work fine. I suggest Gorilla glue. (but you might as well leave the screws in anyway, and fill over the heads)
Why would you have trouble inserting a dowel? Drill hole, insert dowel! it should be 'gently tight'.

Thanks for the replies.
I was worried that if I just used screws and the filled over the heads, the filling would drop out sooner or later, as it's a high traffic area? The stairs are bare wood, not carpeted so there is an aesthetic element here as well.
I figured I would leave a bit of dowel protruding and then file/sand it down to match the profile of the tread's front edge.

Sponsored Links
I figured I would leave a bit of dowel protruding and then file/sand it down to match the profile of the tread's front edge.
you do the same to cover the screw heads , you need a plug cutter and countersink where the screw are going same size or fractionally smaller than the plug.
litl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back