Repairing/stretching/cleaning old carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My folk's carpet must be getting on for 30 years old, and although looking tired in a few places, seems to be doing quite ok.

I've just put them in a new kitchen and tiled the kitchen floor. Now because there is a Z-bar part of the carpet is shy of it by about an inch, where as before the lino was cut to match it (looked terrible). I'm pretty sure I can get it to reach and have bought a cheap knee kicker. There seems to be enough slack in the carpet to be ok.

However, where it meets the back door is a different story. It's a good 5 inches shy of the threshold and I'm wondering what my options are here. What can I put down that won't look too unsightly? Just a piece of timber stained the same colour as the skirting boards, then a gripper in front of that? Would that look ok?

I was also wondering whether to hire a carpet cleaner. They've not been done for probably 12 years if not 20. Am I likely to damage/shrink a carpet that age? It was an expensive carpet at the time, hence why it's lasted so long but I don't want to ruin it for them.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Don't understand how tiling a kitchen can result in carpet elsewhere being 5 inches short.

In any case, by your own admission the carpet is 30 years old, loose, filthy and doesn't fit.
It's time for new carpet.

Don't understand how tiling a kitchen can result in carpet elsewhere being 5 inches short.

In any case, by your own admission the carpet is 30 years old, loose, filthy and doesn't fit.
It's time for new carpet.

Well the lino wasn't cut straight. Now the z bar is in it's a straight line. Along half the carpet is long enough, along the other half it's not.

Unfortunately a new carpet isn't an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back