Have my carpet been stretched enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a carpet from carpetright and it was to expensive for them to deliver it and fit it so i thought i would have ago myself. So after a week i hadn't put it down so i decided to get a carpet fitter to do it so i phoned around and someone would do it for £35. So he came out to do it and it didn't look bad when he finished be when we put the sofa in and sat down you could see the lines where the carpet have been left folded and in some places the carpet don't rest flat on the floor so if you press down on the carpet you can see it move. So have he stretched the carpet enough or will the lines go and will the carpet lay flat after a few days of walking on it or should i phone him up to see what he says.

Sponsored Links
Leave it for a couple of weeks before you call him back. It needs time to settle.

x2

Was there a heavy duty cardboard tube inside the carpet? was the carpet stored flat? was the carpet aclimatised to room temperature before the fitter arrived? It is unlikely that the fitter is at fault at the moment, you can only stretch a carpet 'so far' before risking damaging/ripping it, especially if it has become flattened. Carpets with stiffer, less pliable backings (usually cheap carpets) are notorious for being difficult to stretch properly and it is very common for them not to lay flat during initial fitting.

It may take more than a couple of weeks to settle completely, it may need considerably more time, the fitter should have talked to you about this and explained the situation as to why it was not 'perfect'. Once it has become 'soft' and settled it may eradicate the issue or then it may need a re-stretch or possibly two. Most reputable flooring shops will re-stretch free of charge in the first 12 months of installation, if a stand alone fitter offers the same service is down to the individual I am afraid.

Sponsored Links
sometimes it helps if you hoover it frequently with an upright and "push" the ripples ahead of you towards the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back