Repairing the Highway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've attached a picture of a section of the highway outside of my home, showing as it was last year. It has (as it does every year) deteriorated since this picture was taken. This Google Street View image doesn't show the depth of the holes (up to 1.5") nor the spread. Since last year, much of the road's surface has now crumbled away and it is in a bit of a state.

My local county council responded very promptly to the issue I raised with them and they visited to sort it. Unfortunately they have only repaired a section a few houses down the road, where the damage was superficial (although likely to get worse as mine did).

They won't revisit, so - as neighbours - we've all agreed to sort ourselves. Has anybody used the cold lay macadam before? Is it rubbish? If not, how easy is it to sort?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Needs to be a certain minimum temp for cold lay but I've always found it works fine, certainly on light traffic roads anyway.
Given it's a council they'll probably bill you for vandalism lol

Needs to be a certain minimum temp for cold lay but I've always found it works fine, certainly on light traffic roads anyway.
Given it's a council they'll probably bill you for vandalism lol

Thanks -- never used it before. Got access to a whacker plate to compact it down, just never handled it in the past.

They probably would have a go! Best do it on a Sunday when their vans aren't going round... I remember as a kid my Dad had laid a new pipe across the drive to divert rainwater to a drain and had cut the tarmac to do it. Local council were repairing the main road after fitting new manholes and they actually filled his barrow up with hot tarmac after he asked them :LOL:

Using a whacker might attract unwanted attention from busybodies.......

For such small holes, just use a sledge hammer.

Sponsored Links
I've got a few lump hammers I suppose I could use. Next door works for a tool hire company and offered, that's the only reason I suggested but can see your point.

I know it's not 'legal' but the alternative is to let it crumble and keep sweeping up the crumbled bits of tarmac every fortnight or so.

Balls to legal. Roads are in a right state so I doubt your tiny repair will just be one of many.
I use a lump hammer to ramp it down, sometimes whacking a wooden block

It really is a lot worse than the pic from last summer, it has crumbled away in large sections and is collecting water which has frozen throughout the winter and broken more off. Sadly I don't see daylight in the week so haven't taken any other pics.

I'm sure I'm cheaper than whatever rate the council pays its contractors!

I use fix my street app , they check back monthly to see if repair has been actioned.

I would make sure you are well insured, for road repairs.

Any problems and it comes back to you, could be expensive

I use fix my street app , they check back monthly to see if repair has been actioned.

That app is dependent on the actual council's support of it - some councils worked with it at first, then when flooded with reports eventually blocked it.

If you get no help from the council, complain to your local councillor, that's what they are there for.

If you make repairs and then they fail, (which they often do despite the best intentions), the council could charge you for the cost of proper repairs, and they will make out the repair to be much bigger than it is now.

That app is dependent on the actual council's support of it - some councils worked with it at first, then when flooded with reports eventually blocked it.

If you get no help from the council, complain to your local councillor, that's what they are there for.
So which councils have blocked it ?

Tell your local councillor how they have let you down.

If you make repairs and then they fail, (which they often do despite the best intentions), the council could charge you for the cost of proper repairs, and they will make out the repair to be much bigger than it is now.
Just deny everything! Wasn't me Guv'

Worth a punt?

Mystery artist highlights Bury potholes with penis drawings

A mystery "road artist" has been drawing pictures of penises around potholes in Bury as a way to get the council to fix them.

"They [potholes] don't get filled. They'll be there for months," says the artist, speaking to Newsbeat anonymously.

"People will drive over the same pothole and forget about it.

"Suddenly you draw something amusing around it, everyone sees it and it either gets reported or fixed."

He says his drawings have meant the potholes get fixed more quickly, although Bury Council says they already have a plan in place to deal with the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back