repairs to cracked felt on a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a small problem on a flat roof at the front of the house. The felt is generally ok, but close to the edge there is a recess in the roof that forms a gutter, the felt has cracked in the U (on the house side of the U) - drawn a diagram to illustrate
roofasis.jpg

Now I could get a roofer to redo the whole thing (it's probably about 9 square meters so estimate I'd be paying about 250 quid based on what I've read here on per meter prices..... But I was considering trying to patch it by effectively laying a strip of new felt across the channel as per this diagram
roofsuggested.jpg

Is this a good idea since it's a patch? If I can do it should I just use a single layer of felt? And what should I use - adhesive or proper bitumen? Also how clean will I need to get the existing layer of felt or should I remove it?

Sponsored Links
assuming your roof is at least 15 years old you only need a temporary repair as the whole roof will probably need doing in the next few years

you realy need to peel of the top layer and overlap by about 6 inches towards the house this in turn will give up in a few years but at least the water wont pool in the roof because of the 12mm step

but wait for other opinions as i dont do roofs thats my nebours job :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back