Repipe without drain down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a rad, and may need to move the trv a few cm, which means cutting the pipe. Is there any way to do the modifications without having to drain down the whole system ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it will depend whether you have a pressurised, sealed system, or a gravity fed system as to which method you use,
Either way, you won't be able to solder a joint as the pipe will be full of water.

Yes, it will depend whether you have a pressurised, sealed system, or a gravity fed system as to which method you use,
Either way, you won't be able to solder a joint as the pipe will be full of water.
Pressurised, sealed. I was under the assumption if I don't vent any of the other rads then suction would prevent a large sum of water from vacating.

Sponsored Links
1. You do it at your own risk.
2. In theory, a sealed (and therefore pressurised) system will not leak further from a single point of exit once a partial vacuum has been established. In practice, a faulty automatic air vent, or a slight leak at a joint, can break the vacuum. If you know what you are doing, you can cap the leak / work very fast or whatever it takes to cope with it. If you are less experienced you may no know what to do and get wet.
3. If you are going to try it:
3.1 Close both valves and empty the radiator.
3.2 Slacken valve to pipework nut, drain until water stops flowing.
3.3 Remove valve and install new one. Make sure it is closed.
3.4 Repeat for other valve if required.
3.5 Do not try and remove both valves at once.

I will obviously drain down that pipe section, I just don't want to have to drain down every rad.

1. You do it at your own risk.
2. In theory, a sealed (and therefore pressurised) system will not leak further from a single point of exit once a partial vacuum has been established. In practice, a faulty automatic air vent, or a slight leak at a joint, can break the vacuum. If you know what you are doing, you can cap the leak / work very fast or whatever it takes to cope with it. If you are less experienced you may no know what to do and get wet.
3. If you are going to try it:
3.1 Close both valves and empty the radiator.
3.2 Slacken valve to pipework nut, drain until water stops flowing.
3.3 Remove valve and install new one. Make sure it is closed.
3.4 Repeat for other valve if required.
3.5 Do not try and remove both valves at once.
The op needs to cut into pipework and extend it, not just change a valve.

Do plumbers ever use freeze kits?

they always seem a bit scary to me

Do plumbers ever use freeze kits?

they always seem a bit scary to me
Yes ,every time premises have no external stopcock and the internal stopcock is goosed, which seems to be quite common in my neck of the woods.

Pressurised, sealed. I was under the assumption if I don't vent any of the other rads then suction would prevent a large sum of water from vacating.

In my (albeit limited) experience, the theory works perfectly in practice when your house is undergoing renovation and has no carpets down. Introduce carpets and the laws of physics seemingly get changed and it's anyone's guess what which actually happen then...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back