Replace 18mm chipboard t&g with 12mm ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st floor galley kitchen job (3m x 2m): I want to put click vinyl down but don't want the click to raise the finished floor level so I figure on replacing the 18mm chipboard sub with 12mm ply?

Any thoughts?

Do I need additional floor support perp to joists? At what ctrs? What size additional supports?

Should I use a particular 12mm sub?

Dain

Sponsored Links
400mm is normal floor joist spacing but 12mm is far thinner than any boarding or panels that are used for flooring and would require additional joists if anything parallel to existing joists. I would not recommend anything as thin as 12mm for flooring.
ps that should be 400mm centres of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
What is this fascination that so many people have with trying to build sub-spec floors? 18mm chipboard or plywood on 400mm centres is found in so many houses because it is the absolute minimum that you can normally get away with.........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back