replace 2 gang dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to replace 2 gang 2 way dimmer switch in kitchen with 'normal' 2 gang on/off but would like to be sure of something hence this post. I have been in house @14 years now and have finally decided to remove dimmer switch as it is interfering with my newly acquired electric guitar when I play at night!

The switches control 2 lighting circuits in the kitchen - one being a single bulb in the centre of the ceiling and the other , 4 spotlights arranged around the outside. They are not controlled from elsewhere.

On the original dimmer switch I have the following (no photos yet - don't have a readily available method of taking them and uploading) wiring set up;

* both switches have cables running into respective L1 terminal.

* left hand switch (as you look at it) has cable running into COM terminal.

* a separate cable then runs between COM terminal on both switches i.e. linking the 2.

Do I simply replicate this configuration on a 2 gang 2way on/off switch?

The dimmer switch is a brass plate which is earthed; the on/off switch is not metal so I presume I just tape up the ends of the earth lead?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Do I simply replicate this configuration on a 2 gang 2way on/off switch?
Yes, copy the terminal markings ie com-L1, some switches differ from others on the way these are configured, so double check the markings.

The dimmer switch is a brass plate which is earthed; the on/off switch is not metal so I presume I just tape up the ends of the earth leadl
No not quite, if you have metallic backbox there should be an earth terminal to connect there, if backbox is plastic, could still be an earth terminal, if no earth terminal then, put the erth in to a connection block and leave safely in the enclosure. This cable should be sleeved green/yellow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back