Replace 2 way with PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garage there is a standard bulb which can be switched on from inside the garage or inside the house. The garage is also my smoking room.

I've bought a PIR so I don't have to remember to turn it off or on every time I go for a smoke.

If the PIR works OK I don't much care whether the switches do or not.

There are three red/black cables going into the back of the light fitting. The reds all appear to go into the same connector, two blacks into another connector and the third black (which has some red tape around it) goes into the centre connector.

The PIR has tow Live, one neutral and one earth connector.

Any idea which wire should go where? Like I say, I don't mind if the switches are inoperative. I suppose if one were an override then that's a bonus...

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Get yourself some three core and earth cable, and some brown sleeving (or brown tape if you can't), and some blue sleeving (or blue tape) oh, and of course some earth sleeving

Disconnect the black with red tape around it, and terminal block it to the brown in your new cable, sleeve the black as brown, and connect to the centre contact that you took the other wire from, sleeve the grey as blue and connect it with the two blacks, put earth sleeving on the earth and connect it with the earths

In your PIR you need to connect the brown to live, sleeve the black as brown and connect to switched live, sleeve grey as blue and connect to neutral, and connect earth to earth (remembering the earth sleeving)

When you have the light switched on, it'll opperate on the PIR, when you switch it off, it'll be off

That sounds like a plan...

In putting the light back together I have brought on a problem - I'm now fairly sure the wiing is like the diagram here. www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/lights_and_switches.htm.

That is, it feeds other lights (which are OK switching on and off).

It isn't a ceiling rose as such, more of a bayonet (?) fitting.

There are three holes in which to put wires. Once protrudes more than the rest, in which I've put the black wire with the red tape around (I'm pretty sure that's where it came from).

If I put the three reds in one side and the two blacks in the other, the light stays on, regardless of swicthes. If I reverse them, it stays off. The other lights on the circuit works OK all of the time. (The switch in the garage is a single, the other switch for the garage light is a triple).

All I really want to do is remove the garage light from the circuit (somehow) and use the PIR. I'm thinking now that I should get a junction box to handle the connectivity and spur from there...?

I will read and digest your suggestion as I am sure you are better qualified at this than I am!

Right. The 'on its own sticky out abit more than the rest' terminal is a loop terminal, not a connection to the lamp. The easiest way to connect your PIR is to connect the three live (red) wires (feed in and feed out and switch feed) to the LIVE terminal on the PIR. Connect the two neutral (black) wires (feed in and feed out) along with the neutral of your light to the terminal marked NEUTRAL. Connect the (switched) live wire from your light fitting and the switch wire from the switch (black with red tape) to the terminal on the PIR labled SW or SWICHED LIVE or similar.
This will mean if the light switches are in the off position the PIR only will operate the lights. if the switch is on it will 'override' the PIR

Hope this makes sense.
Rob

Sponsored Links
Wow, thanks for the rapid response.

I've given up for the day but that sounds perfect.

A job for next weekend...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back