Replace a ceiling rose with 4 cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am trying to replace a ceiling rose with an led unit that has only LNE connector.
I have done similar many times in the past, but this one is a bit trickier.
There are 4 cables coming from the ceiling, of course there would normally be 3.
One would be loop in, one loop out and the other is marked with tape as the switch wire.
Question is, what is cable 4?
This is a brand new house by the way.

Any help appreciated - thanks.

Sponsored Links
Which room of your house is this in and are there any other lights in the room. Can you post a picture showing how the ceiling rose is wired?

Might be a mains feed to somewhere else. It doesn't change the principle, though. Make sure the connections remain the same as at present, using some sort of connectors, and take the new light wires to the same place as the old ones.

Which room of your house is this in and are there any other lights in the room. Can you post a picture showing how the ceiling rose is wired?
Hi,
this is in the diner part of a kitchen-diner.
There are kitchen light with their own switches.
There is a junction box outside for a future security light, maybe a clue?
Sorry, I whipped the ceiling rose off thinking the wiring was standard, so no photos!

Sponsored Links
Possibly the feed to the outside light is the additional cable. The way to find out is to use a multimeter to see if that is where it goes. I would expect there you be a switch for it, somewhere. Unfortunately you can see what is going on, we can’t.

But you’ll still have a problem…before you forget, put the cables back in the pendant so it all works. Mark the cables and take a photo. Show us the photo.

Ah, you've fallen into the same trap as so many others on here, always take a photo of the wiring before disconnecting anything. The extra cable could be the feed to the external light, is this light quite close to where that external JB is located?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back