Replace all or patch up ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I have never tiled but am willing to have a go if possible. Basicly, the tiles we inherited with this house are looking shabby, cracked and patterns we don't like. I want to replace the cracked (as you can see they have all cracked badly around the window sill), the ones with patterns on (tried removing with a glass scraper to no avail) and the green ones. All we need to do is match the off white but as I am not experienced I would appreciate anyone here telling me if it is worth doing, try myself or get a proper tiler in to do it all again (pending cost) If not, what is the best way to repair all the cracked and replace the patterned ones please ? A local builder and tiler advised some years ago that we should tile over the old tiles as removing them might reveal a multitude of sins.

[URL=http://s803.photobucket.com/user/marb67/media/Corner%20tile.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think the builder and tiler just wanna do a quick job to suit them. Tiling over the top could be worse. It would be worth paying the extra labour to remove the old ones now, than tile over it, they fall off and it takes you back to square one.

If any of those tiles come loose (which by the looks of some of your existing ones is a big possibility) whatever you put on top will follow. Its not safe. Also if its plaster underneath, that has to hold the weight of two lots of tiles. Plaster can hold 20kg per sqm.

Your existing tile will be approx 11-12kg. The adhesive holding them up, maybe another 2-3. That only allows you 6kg tops to play with for another new layer of adhesive and new tiles....... not gonna happen. Very big risk. Rip them off, repair the wall and start again.

Yes definitely start again. Those cracks are a bit of a worry as tiles only crack when the brickwork behind moves. Take it all off and sort the underlying issues first.

Sponsored Links
Take it all off....the cracked tiles on window cill could be thermal expansion..

Do not tile over...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back