Replace bath carpet with sheet vinyl, noise heat insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed carpet and underlay in a bathroom, in prep to fit sheet vinyl, but now I have noticed a lot more noise/echoing. I guess this is not surprising as carpet is a good sound insulator. It's a suspended floor on sheets of chipboard.

Is there anything I can use as sound/heat insulation on top of the chip board before I lay the vinyl? I have some 6mm ply, only recommended by the vinyl comp to remove imperections etc, but if there was something I could fit as a an insulator between the chipboard and ply it would be good. Otherwise I am thinking of a lot thicker ply, maybe 22mm if I can't find an insulator.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is nothing that thin that will have some if any noticeable effect. You will stop some drafts but no increase in thermal resistance.

There is nothing that thin that will have some if any noticeable effect. You will stop some drafts but no increase in thermal resistance.

I'm not fussed about thickness, but don't want to put down 20mm ply if its not going to do much over 6mm for sound/heat, I guess I was after a "modern" product that I could sandwich in.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks FMT.

I think I'll try rock wool in the ceiling void, it's a lot more disruption but should be worth it. I'll then put down a thicker ply.

I've not fitted sheet vinyl before, should I use contact adhesive to stop it kicking up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back