Replace bathroom sink taps, flexible connectors etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to replace my bathroom sink taps. I have purchased the taps and all of the tools I might require.

The taps are a standard brass 1/2" fitting. I have 15mm copper pipe coming from an isolation valve as seen here;

It then goes up to the tap as seen here;

I would like to fit flexible connectors, I think I need 15mm x 1/2" 10mm bore, 300mm, the toolstation part is 29829 is this correct? Is there a better quality flexible connector I could buy from here?

The part that goes onto the tap just screws on I gather but how do I connect to the isolation valve? Will it come with everything I need?

The original taps are seated on a white plastic washer, is it likely I would need a pair of "Split Klick" centralising washers to keep the tap from moving around (then I can get rid of the white plastic washer)?

Hope someone can advise please; thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There is not much a lot of options with regards to quality at ToolStaition, if looking for like for like.
But is the correct component for the task and should be ready to without any other fitting required, it maybe wise to purchase a roll of PTFE or joint compound, to form a leak free joint.
Taps generally come with all the required bits, for them to be fitted safely and securely to the basin.

if you can turn the water off and are able to remove the isolation valve then use one of these - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plu...+15mm+x+12+10mm+Bore+300mm/d20/sd2807/p77655.
Otherwise you will have to cut the pipe a couple of inches up from the isolation valve to use for the compression end of the flexi. A pipeslice would be best to cut the pipe with or hacksaw and file the cut smooth
When you tighten the end onto the tap then finger tight and a 'nip up' any more and you can damage the rubber washer.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the advice, it's really helpful.

Are these flexible tails not very reliable? I have read some comments on the 'net from plumbers saying they shouldn't be used etc.

My bath taps seem to have some fitted and they've been fine.. for at least 4 years +

I do have a pipeslice purchased in anticipation of tasks such as this :D

What would I need to fit a replacement waste? 'Plumbers gold'?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What would I need to fit a replacement waste? 'Plumbers gold'?
A nice sharp stanley blade to clean the sink when old waste is removed. Polish the ceramic so it's like new and then a bead of silicone on the seals, fit and leave for 30mins before testing
Flexipipes used correctly are fine, they can reduce flow given they have a narrower ID but if your flow and pressure is fine then no issue.

Is there a better quality flexible connector I could buy from here?
You could pay a bit extra and get WRAS approved flexis, but bog-standard will do the job. 10mm bore should be fine for a basin*, unless it is humongous.
(* It's not a bathroom sink - no such thing. ;) )

how do I connect to the isolation valve?
They can stay where they are. Just cut the pipe and fit the flexis after the isos.

is it likely I would need a pair of "Split Klick" centralising washers to keep the tap from moving around (then I can get rid of the white plastic washer)?
They will help by keeping the the taps central and solid. What's an extra couple of quid.

Do not kink or impose sharp bends on the flexis.

Hi,

These have been fit and are all working great, there are no leaks from the flexis.

The only slight issue is the rubber washers that go between the underside of the basin and the back nut, didn't quite seem large enough.

One of the taps gets a very slight (and I mean slight!) bit of water around one edge of the washer.

To fix this I guess I'd need to get a couple of larger rubber washers?

Also, I need to fit the waste still, I've been advised in this thread to use a bit of silicone, where should I apply this exactly?

Thanks in advance!

A bead of silicone under the flange of the waste (where it mates with the sink) also wrap a bit of ptfe around the threads of the waste to ensure a good seal when you attatch the trap.

For a trouble free fitting, spend a couple of extra quid on a good trap. A McAlpine trap would be recommended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back