1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replace bodged timber and plaster external wall in 100 year old stone and brick house?

Discussion in 'Building' started by Brig-y-don, 21 Jul 2019.

  1. Brig-y-don


    21 Jul 2019
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys,

    So I know that the title may sound rather contradictory but in more detail we have recently purchased, for renovation to be a long standing family home for us and our two young children, a 100 year old Victorian property primarily made of Sandstone and brick construction.

    However on the first floor the external wall (only the external walls of the bathroom and separate toilet) are constructed of a timber frame placed into the surrounding brick and stone construction, with plaster and lath finish.

    The issue we have come across is that the wall in question has been done previously to a very poor standard; windows don't fit correctly, external rendering has not been maintained and is severely protruding the building, and has cracks etc, and has come away from the surrounding walls (please see in the pics), some areas have been repaired with heavy non breathable cement render of which (shock) the room has acquired damp and can generally not breathe with lack of ventilation... and the timber is now mostly rotten through.

    SO, what we are hoping you lovely people might be able to assist with is a few pointers on the way forward.

    As I say the supporting walls either side, and above and below the timber, are of brick construction (solid brick and stone walls 9" thick). So I am looking at two ways forward.

    1) To brick it up, but with some sort of cavity or something to allow for moisture to escape.

    2) To replace the timber frame (like for like), renewing the sizing slightly to ensure the correct fit for the windows, and then builders paper, mesh and render on the outside.

    The thing I'm struggling with is the correct processes of either to ensure that the wall is done correctly, i.e if doing the timber frame do I need a vapor membrane of some kind? What gap might I need if we go with the solid brick up option.

    If anyone could please assist and maybe form a discussion to talk about the best steps to take it would be much appreciated

    Many thanks :)

    67095113_964009423959611_135956940646776832_n.jpg 66943508_2388371271248985_7369049005210206208_n.jpg 67308358_336444620577136_1853164898008170496_n (2).jpg 67301979_616290712196802_7851770558680137728_n.jpg 67438115_381923536014907_5768895949095043072_n.jpg 67347288_1116443715219614_1829123084129402880_n.jpg 67176716_416291392317435_1920797550449786880_n.jpg 67493616_885255831855698_1733954700568428544_n.jpg 67284189_471700853611042_9061951201477656576_n (1).jpg 67183670_513453976057359_6170308183899242496_n.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: 22 Jul 2019
  2. DIYnot Local

    DIYnot Local

    3 Sep 2019
    United Kingdom

    If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

    Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

    Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

  3. Sponsored Links

Share This Page