replace boiler

Oh dear, oh dear, not quite having your day are Joe? But don't worry, I'll type slowly so even you can understand.

The regular (professional) contributors have made it a policy to keep the advice given here restricted to info that is not safety critical. We do not discuss matters that are likely to put people at risk such as gas specific or flue details. We also don't want to turn this into a “how cheap can I get this done” site.
There are a number of reasons for that.
1.It is boring.

2.Asking the price for the price of labour involved in a boiler swap is like assessing the dimension of the proverbial piece of string.
3.As there is no way for you to verify, quoting you a price would amount to no more than an exercise in futility.
4.Even if you could verify it, it would be pointless as no 2 installs are the same. The question is as dumb as asking you how much you sell a house for.
5.Even if installs were standard, it would be rather dense to list it; it would turn the site into a place for quote hunters, and little else.

Finally, if you really have made a bundle buying and selling houses for 30 years (which I very seriously doubt), your statement that you do all the work yourself makes you either a liar, or a criminal. To carry out electrical work as a business, you need to be NIC/NAPIT etc qualified. For glass you need to be FENSA registered. For gas you need to be GSR registered. As your questions and remarks have clearly demonstrated, you are definitely competent in those areas.
Combine that with your more than apparent lack of understanding about what constitutes a profit and the fact that you don't even come close to an accurate approximation of overheads, there can be only one conclusion: you are nothing more than a troll.

Sponsored Links
What do you charge for a combi swap?

It always comes down to the combi swap. Why? Because as you've revealed you buy & sell properties, which could mean it's you that mugs the buyers by installing cheapo heating systems at sub-standard prices by sub-standard tradesmen.

Do it myself. I own the property.
That's what Tibbot said: cheapo boiler installed by a cowboy.

A troll? That's what they all say when they get their butts kicked.

BTW, show me where in the gas regs it says I cannot do gas in my own house.

What do you charge for a combi swap?

It always comes down to the combi swap. Why? Because as you've revealed you buy & sell properties, which could mean it's you that mugs the buyers by installing cheapo heating systems at sub-standard prices by sub-standard tradesmen.

Do it myself. I own the property.
That's what Tibbot said: cheapo boiler installed by a cowboy.

All done to the manufactures recommendations and instructions. If it's right - it's right. Doesn't matter who does it - if it's done by the book.

Sponsored Links

You claim to be a self employed "businessman" that earns his income from buying and selling houses. That means you are doing the work for financial gain, which invokes GSIUR section 3.

You claim to be a self employed "businessman" that earns his income from buying and selling houses. That means you are doing the work for financial gain, which invokes GSIUR section 3.

I do the pipework/rads etc. A mate does the commissioning.

Does it really matter what people charge after all they know their own market in their area and know what is the going rate. Doesn't really matter if you are at the cheap or the dear end of the market as long as you have enough work and happy customers all is well.

People charge to acommodate their overheads, different areas have different rates and larger installers have higher running costs and if the volume of work isnt there the price will reflect this accordingly

For the record I charge £100 for a 10 hour day cash but that is just my PJ work. I am happy with this rate and so are my customers

I can't see the point of arguing over who charges what, each company and indeed each job should be judged on it's own merits and it would impossible to put a blanket price on all work done by different people in different areas

Just my 2 pence of course

( I am not a plumber by trade though)

Joe,

I only charge what Im worth. A combi swap (seeing as thats the only job RGI's do :eek: ) can vary between £1.65 and £1500.00.

2 weeks ago I travelled over 100 miles to replace my cousins boiler in Southampton. It was £2000 labour for 3 days (51 hours @ a £40 an hour.)
That included travelling 260 miles a day. Oh, and I fixed a leaking hob for free.

There you go, you have a price I charged. Hardly a rip off - especially as he is playing 'championship' football.

Perhaps you should question his £11,000 a week?

Mr. W.

About the same as the average gas fitter then?

I think of people like you every time I take a dump. :p

And so u should joe , because what u are sitting on was installed by people like me :) & than u obviously wash your hands ( I hope ?) so u can think of me again ! yep there is not a day in your life joe , were u are not useing something that was put in by the likes of us !

51 hours @ a £40 an hour

Is it any wonder so many people diy or employ foreign labour.
A plumber/parts changer is not worth £40 an hour imo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back