Replace Ceiling Rose with non-ceiling rose fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, how do I replace a pendant light with a different chandelier type light fitting.

I have attached a phot of the existing wiring and the wiring associated with the light I would like to put up.

The light to put up has its own hanging bracket and therefore pendant fitting not required.

Sponsored Links
At the ceiling rose you have, 3no looped in live (red core), 2no looped in neutrals (black core) and a switch live (black core) this switch live should be identified as a line conductor and have a red sleeve or tag on it. It is important that before disconnection you have this cable identified, or it could hinder your progress. You also have 3no CPC/earth cables, these should all be sleeved green/yellow.

The connection shown for the new light, will only provide connections for the neutral loop, CPC/earth and the switch live.

This means the two black neutrals go to the same connector as the blue flex, the CPC/earths to same as the green/yellow and the black IDed as the switch live connected with the brown flex.

You now need to form a live loop with the reds, so you need another connector to make this. Unfortunately not all manufactures of light fittings provide this spare connector for the live loop.

I have attached a phot of the existing wiring and the wiring associated with the light I would like to put up.
Ah, but you haven't.

If you want to use the site's own photo library provision you'll find the instructions here: //www.diynot.com/network/DIYnot/albums/67/180

To get the photo(s) to appear in your post you will need to do all 11 steps.

Or in a fraction of the time it takes to go through that convoluted process you could use an image hosting site such as http://www.postimage.org

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your help. I tried searching the wiki but couldn't find what you posted with the diagrams.

Thanks also for the written explanation using both together I've managed to get the light up and all working well.

Thanks all for your help. I tried searching the wiki but couldn't find what you posted with the diagrams.

Thanks also for the written explanation using both together I've managed to get the light up and all working well.

You are most welcome, glad to hear that the light is up and functional.

I tried searching the wiki but couldn't find what you posted with the diagrams.
Really?

screenshot_371.jpg

Seriously - if all that it too difficult or obscure, please let us know so that we can improve it.

I didn't follow that process....that is very easy and straightforward I was trying to search for an answer. Will use the process you've outlined in future!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back