Replace concreted-in fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Have some fencing to repair - the wooden posts have broken off where they are rotted at ground level. There were concreted in.

Is it reasonable to clean the old wood out of the concrete hole and slide a new post in? If so, I assume that triming it to enable it to slide in to the existing hole is ok? And, if that is the case, what's my best means of holding it firmly into the hole - bearing in mind whatever I use either has to pour down the side of the post or push up the side if put in the hole before the post.

Is that kinda clear?

Sponsored Links
As clear as can be Ookysoft. The existing posts should be in the ground about 18"or 460mm in new money and IF the stub in the concrete is like mush, it is easy to take out ok, if not dig out one side of the post and break the concrete away to reveal the post all the way down. You can then get the post out and leave the big lump of concrete in place. fit the new post, pour in a small amount of sloppy concrete and the bits you have taken out to fill the gap , no mess left and no big lumps of concrete to get rid of , talk about recycling eh! Job done :D

If, like me, you are really annoyed at having softwood posts go rotten and snap off leaving a big lump of concrete in the ground, use concrete posts next time; or concrete spurs that you can bolt a wooden post to while keeping it away from the damp earth. you can use dark brown masonry paint on the concrete to make it blend in (photos available)

Sponsored Links
I quite agree (for what its worth). Concrete spurs are a good system, allowing you (or future owners of the fence) to change the posts quickly and easily. And a lot easier to handle than 8' concrete posts!

JohnD said:
If, like me, you are really annoyed at having softwood posts go rotten and snap off leaving a big lump of concrete in the ground, use concrete posts next time; or concrete spurs that you can bolt a wooden post to while keeping it away from the damp earth. you can use dark brown masonry paint on the concrete to make it blend in (photos available)

cor i never thought youd come up with that one john! ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back