Replace decrepit garage with garden room inc store room

Bit wet to get things going but we still installed the full height glass corner window frames.

Got the versapanals ordered 12 no at £15.30 each 10mm. These will be textured white. Going to order roof sheeting tomorrow and weatherboard tomorrow.( had a look today at the weatherboard on offer at builders yard)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the update!

Have you decided on what you are using for insulation yet?

Cheers, Des.

Ideal it would be foiled insulation but this thing is on budget so more traditional I suppose. See what I can get from gumtree or ebay. Cheap basically.

Frame finished got the roof firings started and 18mm OSB roof sheeting. Going to install a couple of versapanals to the walls to stiffen things up a bit. Getting a bit wobbly up there to walk about.

A

Sponsored Links
Onwards after spending a daft amount of money at BQ for strapping got a wall done and one versapanal on.

End versapanal on.

This panel is for versapanals

This panel is weatherboard. Hit n miss style.

18mm osb & firings on. (Apart small section of board to front of picture.)

Did some versapanal round the back, couple of panels in the front with the timber fascia and panels as well. More timber treatment to go on.

Hope to bond some Sarna on this weekend. Its come off a roof at work but in really good nick. I replaced it with the rubber roofing so might give it a try using the same glue. Its water based so can't think it will have any problems.

Thinking the versapanals will have blue down light under the soffit onto the white textured versapanals. Centred on each panel.

I'm really enjoying following this build. Keep up the good work.

Any reason for using the versapanels rather than just timber cladding?

Versapanals have excellent weather properties. There is little movement in them hence why there used as a carry base for render. They will be painted a textured white colour. Thought about maybe trying out a slurry bonding mix roller applied on a test piece to see the result before painting

The panals are easy to fit and the front ones require no cutting. It was all a bit experimental. I made the sketches because I was unsure how the hit n miss would look. Its still not like seeing the real thing but I do believe now it will work.

Did some research regarding sticking sarna down with water based glue and this apparently is the correct method if bonding.

End result was I had a sheet of sarna for nothing and its now bonded and made the roof water tight. Result! :D

Sarna bonding to roof t went well until I reached the tied on ladder at the end of the roof. It was a bit of a struggle and with the bond gripping I ended up with a couple of ripples. Bugger! It can be seen from the loft conversion velux window shown on the attached picture.

The ripples! The two flat roofs look close but they are a good distance apart about 5m.

Got the sarna trims to fit then hard wood door frames to finish all panels and timber cladding.

Sarna down. Edge trims attached, front panels on, starting the hardwood door frames. Doors coming Monday. Will finish external envelope (watertight) this weekend. Just need the finish to panels.

Hopefully start insulation on Monday. Prob Tuesday.

He he. :D

I did see that previously and wondered if it was real ?

The joiner that made my corner window frame did say I had over engineered the thing. Well I am an engineer (civil) and not a joiner. Maybe he thought it was going to look like that shed when he arrived :D

One thing hitting a few knots (nailgun)has given me a few nails sticking out just like the pics :oops:

No bent hammered screws to report though.

ONWARDS :

Midges have been hell and I have abandoned each evening at 7.30pm due to this. I have just the cuts off versapanal left. Joiner at work talks like I might as well be cutting through a sheet of granite than versapanal. Will find out tomorrow. Its only 10mm board!

Been a bit slow lately but did the timber cladding at the front and set the door frame in. Like wise I need to do the same with the rear storeroom doorway.

The rear of the building faces into high, thick trees/bushes. Just plain minimum maintenance versapanal. No need to do much as no one will really see it.

Just some glass and a door now and some soffits, gutter n down pipe, finish to panels, oh power and internals and decking and a fair bit still.
:unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back