Replace decrepit garage with garden room inc store room

... power ...
Thought you weren't having any?

That was you no me. :LOL:

To be honest it already has power if you look at the start of the thread you see there was a garage there already. I just switched it off at fuse box and wrapped all the wiring, sockets, etc up and sealed from weather until the thing was water tight. :D

Do you like the wood stain. got it from B & Q. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Surprised how much time has passed. Doors are fitted although the garden storage at the back still has a key pad entry to fit. Soffits are nearly done for this I splashed out on marine ply (mad seeing as my facia is pine cladding)
Biggest set back was we cracked a glass pane bringing it round £250! And the other panel has slid between panes of glass making the unit 4mm too big for the frame. The joiner is going to return to alter the frame and I got another pane ordered.
Ah if it was all easy and straight forward would it be as interesting. :D

Picture added now get the corner windows to fit.

Soffits and doors on although the heavy front one is reclaimed from a refurb but the stain looks a tad naff. Think it needs sanding off and do again.

I do really enjoy following your updates on this thread and you're inspiring me to build my orangery following your timber frame/versapanel method.

Two questions - which sarna membrane did you use for the roof and how did you fix the joins?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ah the sarna :oops:

To be honest it was a sheet 4m x 14m at my work I don't know what type. We now use Firestone rubber roofing and I bonded the sarna with the firestone waterbased adhesive. It was a trial but seems to work well stuck down well.
I was going to rubber roof it but I got this for nothing so that was the only reason.

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

Will you render straight onto the versapanels or do you have to put mesh on it first?

Its straight on roller applied textured render paint. Renotex was the idea I spoke to their rep but it comes at a cost. There are similar cheaper versions by dulux and sandtex. It will be the last thing done probably. I think Renotex quoted £138 + vat for enough to coat all the panels. Mind its all versapanal round the back.

Woohoo full height windows in. Crapped myself with these after one cracking just moving the pane at £250 just for the glass. Both fitted by myself and my star joiner from work. Got the replacement slightly cheaper at £200 but still a heart stopper standing in the garden looking at the crack in the previous one.
Nightmare but now in.

That flippen plastic roof trim is due a piece of bonding. It keeps popping up!

Lesson learned don't put down your brush while staining while your 2year old is in the garden. he likes to help out once you go to the toilet and this is what it looks like after 10 minutes of frantic scrubbing!

Now were water tight I might push on with the surround decking etc while we have a good dry spell.
Still researching the finish to versapanal but Still think the render paint is the way to go.

Thinking on putting a couple of windows in the versapanal further back. I was thinking along the lines of a couple of round windows above one another . Not sure.

Fitted a door closer today on the big heavy front door. Its now got a slow swng followed by a click in through the latch. Excellent no vibration hitting the window and no hopefully bashed fingers.
During this time I got a scream that our 2 year old had struck again smashing a gold fish bowel over his brothers head. All ok apart from an egg on head!

Versapanal now in the process of getting their coating. Its Sandtex high build.

The coating is supposed to be by their high build roller but I found it difficult to evenly spread the material as it is like smearing clay. In the end I applied it with a brush evenly spreading till the whole panel was done then hit it with the roller.

Inside I have started the stud work to seperate the garden room and store to rear. I managed to pick up on gumtree all my rockwool at £4 a roll. Result!

Already I can't resist sitting at my corner window. Be nice when I get the outside decking all complete.

Been so long had to scrawl down to find it. Most folks have probably done their extensions etc in the time it takes me to put a door in.

Very slow I know but trying to get the externals finished before winter. Surround decking started and electrics now in.

The new high build render paint. Very pleased with. These pics are the rear entrance to the garden store.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back