Replace Digital Thermostat Timer With Analogue Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if you can replace a digital thermostat timer with a old style analogue timer? I ask as my wireless one is not very great and i would like to set more times and temperatures per day than my thermostat will allow me. I used to have a analogue one years ago and was happy enough. My current thermostat is a RT500RF and allows you to set 5 times over 5/7 days.

So I have a Greenstar 24i Junior MK IV Combi Boiler and wondered what would be the best option?

something like this?
ae235.jpg

Also if this is possible then will I just have to mount this to the wall next to the boiler? or can i surface mount it to the actual boiler somehow? or course I will get a gas safe person to install if necessary.

20191014_223207.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes the MT10 will slot directly in to your boiler facia, you will have to put a link in though when you remove the salus

Sponsored Links
There are stand alone and those which talk to the wall thermostat, and there are direct on device setting, bluetooth setting, and wifi setting the latter can also have geofencing, some need a hub to work, some need a wall thermostat to work.

The cheapest is around £10 and they go up to around £60 each.

I have two types, the eQ-3 bluetooth at £15 each and the Energenie MiHome at around £40 each and they also need a hub. The expensive type should link to Nest wall thermostat however they have problems doing that, and the expensive type can only be programmed with a hub and PC.

The cheap type in many ways better, although easier to program using bluetooth, once programmed one touch of button to go from Eco to Comfort and quick turn of dial to go up or down in temperature, and press dial for boost, also has window open detect so in many ways better than the expensive type.

I have not got them works A1 in this house yet, worked great in last one, but having a problem setting them. See here where I have asked for a little help, and have put up pictures of the controls.

P.S. last house same boiler as you and the 4 MiHome Energenie worked great, it is the off/on oil boiler which is causing me a problem.

Would you be getting a standard room thermostat as well, or just replace the timer? Also your boiler looks like it has no pressure - might want to sort that as well. Do you know your boiler thermostat is low?

There are stand alone and those which talk to the wall thermostat, and there are direct on device setting, bluetooth setting, and wifi setting the latter can also have geofencing, some need a hub to work, some need a wall thermostat to work.

The cheapest is around £10 and they go up to around £60 each.

I have two types, the eQ-3 bluetooth at £15 each and the Energenie MiHome at around £40 each and they also need a hub. The expensive type should link to Nest wall thermostat however they have problems doing that, and the expensive type can only be programmed with a hub and PC.

The cheap type in many ways better, although easier to program using bluetooth, once programmed one touch of button to go from Eco to Comfort and quick turn of dial to go up or down in temperature, and press dial for boost, also has window open detect so in many ways better than the expensive type.

I have not got them works A1 in this house yet, worked great in last one, but having a problem setting them. See here where I have asked for a little help, and have put up pictures of the controls.

P.S. last house same boiler as you and the 4 MiHome Energenie worked great, it is the off/on oil boiler which is causing me a problem.

Thanks for this information, very useful, I will look into the bluetooth option. To be honest the boiler has a mind of its own and tends to fire up every ten minutes (even in eco mode). So the radiators were on all night even though the temperature I set was lower than the room temperature! My thought was to use a analogue as when they are wired in the boiler wont be able to fire up unless it reaches the timer slots. Not solving the problem but the main issue is the timer is rubbish on the RT500RF model.

Would you be getting a standard room thermostat as well, or just replace the timer? Also your boiler looks like it has no pressure - might want to sort that as well. Do you know your boiler thermostat is low?

Well hopefully just the timer. The pressure seems to drop when the boiler is off/idle, no idea why. When I turn the heating on the pressure rises on the boiler to around 1.2bar. I think something is wrong with this but will have to ask an engineer.

Thanks for that, I don't know much about the expansion vessel but I might test the pressure later against the guide in the manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back