Replace failed double glazing with single?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a house with good condition wooden windows, but most of the sealed units had failed.

Without wanting to replace the entire windows, and understanding about the problems of double glazing units and wooden frames (too small rebate, no drainage etc) I am wary to just replace the units with new ones. I understand that if fitted incorrectly I may only get a few years use before they fail again.

My question is this: What is the downside to just replacing the units back to single sheets of glass? I understand there will be more heat-loss, but how much will there actually be in relation to the cycle of paying for new double glazed units every few years. My house is otherwise fairly well insulated with minimal drafts.

Sponsored Links
I think they may last a bit longer than you may think, certainly more than a few years.

But I am looking for a solution that will last pretty much forever, or is there no such thing?

Someone has reccomended Pilkington K Glass as the single glazing option?

I could be wrong, but you can only replace windows like for like unless you use FENSA or building regs, since you are wanting to change from dbl to single it wouldn't be like for like so if you ever came to sell you would have to lie plus your colourful but useless EPC would be poor (but with plenty of room for improvement)

Sponsored Links
You can change your glass from double to single as you are not changing the frames it will not come under fensa, you cannot use k glass as a single glass option because of the coating on one side, k is to be used in a sealed unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back