Replace Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the fan (fan failure warning) on my other Dell desktop and have removed it ok.

What i need to know is are fans universal and where can I source one.

It says it is a DC brushless fan 12v and is approx 4 inches.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where was it on the PC, case or power supply?

4"? how big are the blades? Could be a 92mm fan. PC fans are universal, nexus, panaflo, antec are decent brands.

Sponsored Links
I went to Maplins but the connector is not the same and the assistant advised to phone Dell.

I gave them a ring and enquired how much they wanted for a fan and they said I would have to buy it complete with cooling arm for £80.80! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dell are trying to rip you off. Not really surprised. :rolleyes:

Can you take a picture of the connector? If the fan does not need to be plugged into the motherboard (like to monitor it) then you can buy a normal 3 pin fan and use a converter to plug it into one of the molex plugs.

What sort of connector does the fan have? Is it the small 3 pin type that plugs onto the motherboard or the big 4 pin molex connector that plugs into your CD/DVD drive?

Hi

I took the computer to a local shop who sold me a fan for £3 that plugged into the harness. The Dell one did plug into the motherboard. It is working but makes a right racket. :eek:

I told the Dell salesman that they were blatantly ripping off customers and I won't be buying any more Dell computers in future.

Thanks for replys. :D

I told the Dell salesman that they were blatantly ripping off customers and I won't be buying any more Dell computers in future.
Thats what can happen when you don't know much about computers. :evil: :mad: Its disgusting that a big company like Dell would change such an extortionate price for a fan and a bit of plastic or metal.

Hi

I took the computer to a local shop who sold me a fan for £3 that plugged into the harness. The Dell one did plug into the motherboard. It is working but makes a right racket. :eek:

Thanks for replys. :D

Probably a cheapie, but if it goes round...

You can get fan speed controls/limiters. Zalman fanmate is a good one. Others are like a resistor with male/female connectors at each end. They simply plug in between the fan/power connector. Only a couple of quid.

Heres a 'crossed wires' one from Maplin.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37054

Sponsored Links
Back