Help with case fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the 9mm case fan from my desktop. I have connected it to a 12v supply. The blades try to move, only a few mm, then when cut power, you can see the fan blades relax and move back a few mm. Any ideas? Fan goosed?

Sponsored Links
I think its quite common for them to fail like that. Cheap enough to just replace with another one. Sometimes the bearings sieze or something in the control chucks it in.

Yeah it spins freely. I even tried giving it a helping push start but it just doesn't turn. Its only a couple months old. I just wondered if it was something simple. I will just replace it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Failure of the electronic commutation could have that symptom.
Just replace it.

if you're swapping it, look for a dust filter to match. If you can arrange the filter to be on the outside of the case, with the fan blowing inwards, it's easy to vacuum it clean, or take it off and wash it, occasionally. This will keep the inside, especially the heatsinks, clean.

BTW I am pretty sure your fan is not 9mm.

Case fans are so cheap that replacement is the best option. By all means, strip them down "just for the hell of it" but the parts to repair will probably cost two or three time the price of replacement.

Sponsored Links
Back