Replace Johnson Starley J50 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at replacing my Johnson Starley J50 heating system.

Is it possible to fit a boiler in the place of the current unit and use the existing flue which is routed through the house to the ridge outlet.

Most modern boilers appear to come with balanced flues directly through wall at rear of boiler. This isn't really an option for me.

Looking to keep costs down and fit recon used boiler. Will do as much of the install as I can, rads etc.....

I have an independent gas water heater so boiler only needs to supply CH or can replace HW boiler if combi.

All advice appreciated[/code]

Sponsored Links
You can't re use the existing flue. You can get vertically flued boilers but a condensing boiler requires a specific flue. Any boiler you fit must be A rated.

If you buy a J&S hiSpec J50 it will slot straight in.

Nothing high spec about it though.

If someone is selling a recon boiler they are a liar.

like you said nothing hi spec about it. I am looking at fitting a radiator system but want to do it cheaply.

Why can't I reuse the existing flue?

What boiler models are vertically flued

Sponsored Links
to keep the cost down I am considering fitting a pre owned boiler. any issues I need to be aware of if considering this? :confused:

Stop trying to be a penny pincher and have a proper NEW combi boiler
installed and the old crap removed.

Enough said.

It will end in tears if you don't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back