Replace Keston C25 12 yr old packed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Our boiler has packed up, insurance cant repair as beyond eco repair (its a 12 yr old keston c25) any recommendations of good efficiency boilers my current setup includes an tank (un-vented? ) on first floor. What are best options to replace my boiler which can give me good fuel efficiency.

I will also like to reclaim the space where immersion tank is installed is that right thing to do, what factors do i need to consider before deciding? I have attached some pictures of current boiler setup

Thanks for your help

regards,
Amit
20160702_220146.jpg
20160702_131200.jpg
20160702_131211.jpg
20160702_131221.jpg
20160702_220146.jpg
20160702_131200.jpg
20160702_131211.jpg
20160702_131221.jpg

Sponsored Links
you would be ill advised to do away with your Mega flow, I would keep it and just replace the Keston, congratulations on getting one that lasted so long, they are absolute shoite dont get another, there are many decent replacements

Personally I'd keep the Megaflo, trying to change to a combi will reduce your heating efficiency and your hot water flow rate.

I'd replace with an Intergas HRE SB24, add an OpenTherm control for the heating (OT controls are more efficient than "standard" ones) and a cylinder sensor setup for the cylinder, which would give you ultra-fast reheat times on the cylinder combined with the highest efficiency heating system. 7 year warranty on the boiler, 10 year warranty on the heat exchanger although it's worth noting that the heat exchanger has been in service in these boilers for 20 years now and has never had a failure. You could also look at the ECO RF 30, which is technically a combi but will happily run as a system boiler and has a 10-year warranty on everything, plus an on-board RF chip which does all sorts of fancy things ;)

EDIT if your Keston is using their twin-flue system, you're going to need to change that whatever boiler you go for

Personally I'd keep the Megaflo, trying to change to a combi will reduce your heating efficiency and your hot water flow rate.

I'd replace with an Intergas HRE SB24, add an OpenTherm control for the heating (OT controls are more efficient than "standard" ones) and a cylinder sensor setup for the cylinder, which would give you ultra-fast reheat times on the cylinder combined with the highest efficiency heating system.

Thank you for your response. Being fairly new I read about OT Controls which brand/model is good to buy which can interface well with boiler. Also my current thermostat is hallway on ground floor shall I change it to be an wireless one to keep room warm which ever i am in or place it at some other location (living room/bed room ?)

I did not get the "cylinder sensor setup for the cylinder" what is this part/component in heating system.

Apologies for my silly question

EDIT if your Keston is using their twin-flue system, you're going to need to change that whatever boiler you go for
yes thanks I missed that. My current Flue goes from kitchen into Ceiling via Living room and then out into Garden, Will I have to keep the same Flue route or reposition the boiler {which i prefer not to do }?

regards

Sponsored Links
Honeywell do good controls, and Intergas are soon releasing their own control too which will have a phone app with it. You could have a stat you can move around but they're best left in one place IMHO

The cylinder sensor would go into your Megaflo cylinder to sense the temperature and tell the boiler whether it needs heating up or not. Not essential, but can be handy

Without being able to see your house, I can't advise on the best flue route, but in theory you should be able to follow the route of the existing flue. Having said that, new regulations require every joint to be inspectable, so if you take it through the ceiling you'll need 300×300mm inspection hatches cutting into the ceiling so the flue can be inspected

Hello I have now got boiler installation engineers to give quotes. The first quote i have got is offering me Ideal Vogue (10yr warranty), what are your views?

rgds

Never seen one, but have heard good things about them. It'll be more expensive than the Intergas, it's physically quite a bit larger and according to the data sheet it's also considerably louder, which might be things you want to take into account

thanks, what is your view on Vaillant and Worcestor bosch, what other considerations I have to take in account in terms of KW output of boiler?

Wouldn't touch Woofter Bodge with a very long bargepole, Faillant are OK but increasingly using plastic rather than metal components, and now pre-charge you £90 for a warranty call-out, which is only refunded if they can't find a way of wriggling out of the warranty

got two quotes till now

1. Ideal Vogue, 18 KW 2400 all installation
2. British Gas Worcester 15Ri (15KW), 3600 (includes £400 boiler scrapage + Hive)

i have got 3 more engg. visiting before i finalize

i am still confused unclear about boiler choice, also is the KW output look right ?

Your existing boiler is about 25kW but whether that was correct or not is anyone's guess from here. Presumably the people who have visited have measured up and done proper calculations to work out what size you actually need

British Gas are always expensive - you're paying for the name

Why are you not happy with the advice you have been given here?

Little point in posting on multiple forums because the experts who answer are all the same people!

Keep the Megaflow!

Tony

well, i am keeping the megaflow tank.
with posting to multiple boilers it's always good to have wider views, sometimes they may not get you to make a decision but that's human nature i suppose.

I am awaiting boiler cover engg. tomm to confirm if they can fix the boiler, if yes then will probably let them fix if not then back to options.

It is largely the same engineers who give advice to all the forums.

The C25 has not been very reliable and it would be sensible to replace it.

15 to 18 kW will suit you.

Usually I fit them for about £1800 in my local area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back