Replace MCB with RCBO's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

I’ve got a 12 way Volex 17th Edition split consumer unit that currently has 4 MCB no RCD (for electrical heating) and 5 MCB with RCD protection for lights, immersion, Oven / Hob, Final Ring, & radial socket.

upload_2021-5-4_15-34-48.jpeg

There’s a guy on ebay selling New Old stock Volex RCBOS’ of the right type (RCBO function AC & pulsing DC, MCB function – Type B: https://bit.ly/2PRx1m6 ) & ratings, so I was considering replacing the current set of MCB’ with RCBO’s.

I have a Fluke 1653B multifunction tester so would perform continuity, IR and trip time / current testing before and after the replacement, and will source a torque screwdriver to ensure everything is done up correctly.

Is there anything else I should be considering ? Aside from updating the labeling when done.

M.

Sponsored Links
I think the type AC doesn't have the dc pulsing function.

Blup

That brand are type A rcd for DC.

Often ppl don’t like Rcd for heating, as you can get false trips.

Sponsored Links
I think they are.

Can't be bothered to go and look at one, though.

They have a metal sheathing. If the element were to be damaged or burn through, it could become live.

I think they are.
That's good enough.

Can't be bothered to go and look at one, though.
Maybe you should.
https://www.google.com/search?q=storage+heater+elements'&sxsrf=ALeKk00iIA9QmD8vHR0rAd04QtWpm-sFAQ:1620144458285&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinxq63tLDwAhXOgVwKHRD_CYwQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1559&bih=761

They have a metal sheathing. If the element were to be damaged or burn through, it could become live.
They are inside the bricks.
MCB?

That brand are type A rcd for DC.

Often ppl don’t like Rcd for heating, as you can get false trips.

it's hard to make out from the photos on ebay, but when i zoom in, they do look like type A to me:

upload_2021-5-4_17-37-21.png

I'll bear in mind the possibility for nuisance tripping on heating circuits and keep hold of the exsting MCB's just in case. At the moment, i have cheapo convection heaters fitted but intend to replace them with some nicer electric - wet style heaters in due course. Guess that explains why the spark who fitted my consumer unit way back when split those circuits off from the RCD.

That said, I have come across some manufacturers of radiator elements who specify the use RCBO's.

How do you turn the heaters on and off ?

is there a central timer ?

As per the original late 60's / early 70's install Each room has it's own thermostat. There used to be a central timer / relay box but i too that out when i replaced the old mechanical thermostats with Aube Th132's digital onse which work well for temp control / disabling the heaters with the 'holiday' function. Each heater is connected to the circuit via it's own FCU.

A project for another day will be to add appropriate isolation switches before the thermostats as the installation pre-dates that requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back