replace old electric radiator with a Lot20 radiator on an older pilot wired system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've read around existing "Lot20" posts but cannnot find an answer. can anyone help with the below situation?

The existing heating is pre-lot20, and one of the Dimplex EPX500 convector heaters, in a room approx. 3.6m x 3.2m, isn't working. It connects to an RXPW4 pilot wire controller. I'm considering buying the current lot20 DX PLX050E to replace the heater but the manufacturer has told me that it is not compatible with the RXPW4, which seems to leave me with the following options:

Either:
i) buy a PLX050E, or a similar heater, connect it myself and operate it standalone. Or:

ii) buy a PLX050E and ignore the manufacturer advice and ask an electrician to connect it to the controller. Or:

iii) upgrade the entire heating system to LOT20: 5 radiators and the controller and any wiring. God knows how much this would cost. Or:

iv) Avoid the existing system entirely and buy a standalone AC powered heater for that room, something like Warmlite WL45056BF which looks very nice and could be a good temporary solution.

v) Buy a different, more cost effective Lot20 heater, non-dimplex, like a TLC Heating brand.

If you can think of any problems with the above options or a best way forward I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
vi) Find out why the existing is not working and get it fixed.
thanks Winston1

i did try but conluded it wasn't worth it based on this:
IF the circuit for the heaters works, then it's an obvious heater panel fault.

Unfortunately they sell at a price where I would suggest it's cheaper, easier and quicker to buy a new item and replace it.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Dimplex_EVX/index.html

At £110 inc VAT (approx) each for 1 x 1500w, set against 2 hours of faulting at £100 + materials, with the fault confirmed as unit failure (heat element, switch, timer or thermostat) then they slip in to that area of "uneconomic to repair".

Sorry to be blunt, but since it's cold out- replacement will be the quickest, easiest option.

Sponsored Links
What did you decide in the end? I’m curious as I’m thinking about changing setup and I have this exact one. I’m unsure if I can simply replace EPX with the new PLX considering it will not work with the wall timer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back