Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a flat in May this year, can't figure out the heating and hot water system. I've tried the FAQ's and searching but can't find anyone posting a question in exactly the same scenario. The letting agent has been useless.

The flat has a Dimplex RXPW4 pilot wire controller in the hallway, the lounge and bedrooms have Dimplex EPX1000 and EPX2000 panel heaters mounted to the walls, the bathrooms have each got a towel rail mounted on the wall. The towel rails have a dimplex pilot wire box on the wall at the bottom. The panel heaters and towel rails all have 2 switches next to them on the wall (like a light switch). One is power to the unit and the other seems to be some kind of 'constant' or override switch which makes the unit ignore the slider thermostat on the panel heaters, no idea what it does on the towel rail.

There's a Range Tribune HE hot water cylinder in the cupboard in the hallway, it seems to have two immersion heaters in it, one at the base and one towards the top of the cylinder. There are two switches (like a light switch) next to the boiler, both unlabelled, one at waist height and the other at eye-level. There's a dimplex pilot wire box on the wall next to the switch at waist height but no wire visibly coming in / out of it.

From the research I've done today I think the switches near the cylinder control the two immersion heaters, one to be left on constant and one to act as a boost? I can't see a timer anywhere. There's one consumer unit in the same cupboard as the cylinder and we have one electric meter downstairs in a communal cupboard. I'm on a standard tariff with SSE, they've never mentioned economy 7 to us.

I've turned the eye-level switch next to the boiler off today because I think i've had the 'boost' immersion on since we moved in, I want to see if it impacts our electric bill.

I'm trying to figure out:

1. Am I correct in my above comments re: 2 immersion heaters. Is one for constant use and is the other a 'boost' ?
2. How does the hot water cylinder heat up? The pilot wire system was completely disabled until this week when we've started trying to use the wall mounted panel heaters. If I am correct re: boost, I guess we've been getting all our hot water on boost since May.
3. Could the cylinder be linked to the pilot wire controller? It has 4 zones. Zone 1 seems to be the lounge heater, zone 2 is the bedrooms, zone 3 might be towel rails but i'm struggling to figure them out and zone 4 seems to do nothing.

Apologies for the essay, I've tried to be as thorough and descriptive as possible but I can provide pictures if that would help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
post pics of everything you have , your termination is confusing

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
1. Am I correct in my above comments re: 2 immersion heaters. Is one for constant use and is the other a 'boost' ?
Top element is the boost, gives you enough for say basin washing and dishes. Bottom one 2/3rds down is to heat the whole cylinder for showering/bathing. Usually the bottom one is on an economy 7/10 electric supply the top on is normal mains or they may be on button timers. You really want economy 7/10 if at all possible

2. How does the hot water cylinder heat up? The pilot wire system was completely disabled until this week when we've started trying to use the wall mounted panel heaters. If I am correct re: boost, I guess we've been getting all our hot water on boost since May.
The dimplex pilot wire system is basically a programmer/controller that allows all the dimplex outlets to be controlled through that unit. Each outlet(s) are classed as a zone and time/duration etc is controlled by the unit through a pilot (communication) wire. I'd suggest you get the manual for it to explain how to use it.
This wouldn't control your hot water though, I don't believe dimplex have a controller for a HW switched supply.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Just checked and there is another interface that will control up to 3Kw so would do at least one of the immersions, that's called a RXPWIF that can be controlled by the pilot controller you have so should be possible if you don't already have one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back