Replace or repair fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After the storms a few weeks back my fence took a good battering.

The beams (show on picture below) are well rotted and the panels fairly warped and rotten towards the bottom. Its a corner plot and from road side you can see the odd gaps.

I was initially going to replace these beams but now thinking of changing the lot.

Height is 6ft. I want to increase this to 7ft but will need to get permission from council.
Plan to use a post extended to extend the height by 1ft - if granted council permission.

What is the "best" fence you can fit? regardless of cost?

upload_2020-4-5_21-32-41.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is this a look at my swimming pool post? :)

I'm sure you could have taken that pic from a closer vantage point.

Those arris rails are available to buy, you could build new panels with some good tanalised timber or you could buy panels to slot straight in.

Last edited:
Nice pool Steve, I saw a fence being put up last week where they put rsj's 3ft into the ground then filled the gap in between each rsj with sleepers and on the outside covered with featheredge boards. From the outside it looks normal but it was very secure.
Also you can go up to 6'" 6" and then put trellis on top.

Andy

Sorry guys, it was genuinely the only pic I had (used it for a floating deck post earlier).

I thought the height limit was 6ft?

Trellis on top of 6ft 6 would surely mean planning permission ?

Sponsored Links
I've been changing mine, as it needs fixing, to horizontal decking boards screwed to the posts. Looks nice and is very strong. Mine span to the next post alternately on the left and the right, for stiffness, but if you had slotted posts you could drop them in, then add an intermediate brace to prevent them being lifted out.

In dry weather, though, you can peep through the gaps.

I have concrete gravel boards.

I thought the height limit was 6ft?

6ft 6 is almost exactly two metres. I have an idea (may be mistaken) that 2m is now allowed. You can achieve it with a 6ft panel plus a 6" gravel board.

I noticed that my 6ft garden wall is not high enough for todays tall youngsters, many of whom can look over the top.

Ideally I want the 7ft - fence 6ft plus gravel board. Not sure if going through council will open a can of worms though!

Thanks for the idea's all ….. any pictures will be great to see it visually .

Just picking up on this again.

I am planning to keep the 6ft posts.
Replacing the cant rails and then fixing 7ft feather edge panels - followed by the fence capping rail on top.

Any suggestions/recommendations on where to purchase the items mentioned above?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back