Replace pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a plumber advise me please? i have a 2 bed flat on one level built in 1963. Would you think it wise to replace the mains, hot and cold pipes being as they are so old. I had found 2 leaks where someone had 'repaired' a hole they had made with some hose pipe and jubilee clips, and it has been leaking since christ knows when! The floor boards have got to be replaced in the hall and part of the lounge and bedroom as the joists and boards are rotten. Or do you think the pipes are fine as they are, being as old as they are :?:
Many thanks, Di

Sponsored Links
Personally I would only change the bad section.

I go to emergency leaks all the time, very seldome but sometimes the copper has pin holes in it, much more frequently there has been mechanical movement around an end feed joint, eventually (50 years or so) the joint comes apart. Mostly some diy guy has nailed the pipe himself puting floorboards down. Even done it once myself.

Most of the copper in our houses is in good order, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If there is lead, I would have that taken out now while the floors are up.

Thanks for that, but can i just ask you why have lead taken out? and are lead pipes only the mains cold water pipes?

Sponsored Links
then again the Copper board do state that all copper should be repaced every twenty five years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back