Replace plasterboard ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just making sure im not missing anything.
During removing the spikey bits on a textured coating on the celing it was obvious the coating wasnt stuck very well, also lots of sagging section where the board has dropped slightly.
So im going to replace the lot, at least its the easy to get to top floor so only insulation above it.

Gap between joists is approx 420mm, and joists are 47x70, so im guessing 1800x900 is the correct board to be using so the 900 width covers 2 sections. I was also going to go with 12.5mm thick board as its not much more expensive and in this size it isnt too heavy for two of us to lift up.
Is it also worth putting some cross sections of 47x70 along where the plasterboard edges fall so that no edge is un-supported.

Sponsored Links
rob_j20, good evening.

Sounds as if the "Spiky bits" was possibly Artex? if so that material can, STRESS can contain Asbestos, the Asbestos is the white variety, Suggest you Google this? In general terms if the Artex was applied prior to 2000 then the above applies, but if the Artex was installed after 2000 then there is no Asbestos in it.

As for replacement, Yes the 12.5 is good to go, and yes you really need to "support" all edges on the boards. you describe them as cross sections, they are generally referred to as Noggins [or if in Scotland? --- Dwangs--- Sounds good if a Glasgow accent is employed, at least I
think so.] the trick being, to try to get both bits of Plasterboard to meet on these Noggins so each piece of Plasterboard can be fixed firmly.

You will also require Noggins around the perimeter? to ensure that there is no small sagging at the perimeter.

One final thing at the perimeter of Ceiling to wall? suggest you consider introduction of Coving? Why? because the junction of new Plasterboard and walls can at times become, shall I call it "messy" where small areas of the wall plaster is removed during the removal of the ceiling, Installation of Coving will shall I call it obscure a multitude of blemishes on the wall, also this interface of ceiling / wall can be a pain to grt looking correct?? just a thought?

Ken.

Coving is going on anyway so that's fine. Regards the asbestos it certainly doesn't look like it, looks like filler or a thick coating of paint, no fibers in it at all. So I take the risk using goggles and a good respirator.

Going well so far, one thing that has me puzzled though, how do you tape and fill the none tapered edges?

Sponsored Links
rob_j20, good evening again.

First, you cannot see Asbestos Fibers, these nasty things are at the Micron level, simply not visible to the human naked eye. the redeeming factor is that if it is Asbestos? the Asbestos content is generally So called White Asbestos, the most benign form of this material.

As for your second question as regards the Tapered edge Plasterboard?? Sorry to be the bearing of bad tidings, but it would appear that you have obtained the wrong sort of Plasterboard? Really sorry about that.

Ken

It's definitely tapered edge but only on the long edges.

Don't worry about using tapered edge it gets used all the time by contractors whether it's skimming or dry lining you should really cut your boards to fit your joists so that the edges are supported

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back