Replace porch. Wooden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
The porch at the front of our house is pulling away from the house, it has obviously not been tied in. It is currently single skin with a huge single pane window in the front nest to the door and a small side window, with a glazed roof.
After having build a shed from single skin block and not really liking the whole block laying process (the shed was 20ftx10ft) im looking at maybe building it from wood.

So my questions are:-
1, If i pour a new concrete slab as a foundation how do i stop damp coming up from between the house and the slab? there is also a vent into the current porch.

2, building a frame from 2x4 tan timber and then cladding with shiplap with a vapour barrier under the shiplap and some insulation between the 2x4. Finished with ply on the inside. Does this sound ok?

3, for the roof polycarbonate 25mm five wall, to insulate it well and give solar heat.

4, Windows and doors i will try and get reclaimed/ miss measured double glazing.

5, The floor would probably just be a screed ontop of the slab.

How does this sound?
do i need to make a block plinth before i build the timber frame? otherwise how to i put a DPC in?

The porch would be to keep all the usual coats boots etc, aswell as climbing gear hence the insulation, can afford a climbing rope to get moldy now!

Hope you guys can help!

Ben

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back