Replace Potterton EP2000 with Hive - advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm planning to replace my existing Potterton EP2000 with a dual channel Hive receiver/ thermostat. Currently we have no thermostat and all the rads have TRVs, so will primarily be using the Hive as a better scheduling capability with remote access. Existing wiring doesn't look too bad but wanted to confirm I have it right before starting out. Would appreciate advice. My plan is:
  • Wires in the block on Left (L on the photo) will go to a choc block and then on to 'N' on the Hive receiver
  • Earth wires in the block on Right (R on the photo) and the wire in C will go to a choc block and then on to the Hive receiver Earth tether
  • Wires in D will go to a choc block
  • Wires in L and 5 will go to 'L' on the Hive receiver (probably via a choc block) and the wire between L and 5 will be removed
  • Wires in 3 and 4 will go the same numbers on the Hive receiver
Does that make sense?
From other discussions, I'm assuming that there is no issue with the fact that there's no "Hot water off" (1) or "Heating off" wire. I have separate motorised valves for heating and hot water, so assume that it's an "S" plan setup.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Hive receiver wiring.jpg
    Hive receiver wiring.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Potterton EP2000 wiring_markup.jpg
    Potterton EP2000 wiring_markup.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 300
Sponsored Links
That all sounds fine to me. Well done. (y)

I would be careful with the wire in C, if you don't know where it goes. Not all green / yellow wires are actually connected to an earth at the other end, there's probably a reason it's separate so I would keep it isolated on its own as it is now.

And thanks for the update, it helps anyone coming along later that finds this thread when looking for help with the same thing.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I spoke too soon.
Having worked fine all week, the boiler now won't come on when the receiver tries to turn it on. I've tried re-booting the hub, etc. and the heating control system seems to be working fine but, when the light on the receiver comes on, the boiler doesn't fire. Before I call my boiler man, does anyone have any idea that it could be something other than the boiler, or a suggestion as to how I can test the boiler itself (a Grant Multipass)?

If neither the heating or hot water start the boiler, and the receiver is switching on I would suspect the boiler isn't responding when it should. Therefore, my first port of call would be to see if it is getting a 'run' switched live from the controls.

Unfortunately I've never heard of a Grant Multipass, I'm guessing it's an oil boiler, so other than that, I can't help further I'm afraid.

Looks like it is the motorised valve for the heating, when I activated the valve manually, the heating fired up. I have the hot water coming on before the heating in the morning, so will see whether that works but I suspect it will.
And yes, Grant Multipass is a conventional, non-condensing, oil-fired boiler.
Appreciate the response.

Probably the valve then, I didn't suggest that because when you said the boiler wasn't coming on, I had assumed that was for neither water or heating, and it would be unlikely both would fail simultaneously. Hopefully the water is coming on but you haven't noticed it.

Looks like it's just coincidental that it's happened just after you installed the Hive.

Yes, thanks, the water did come on this morning but the heating didn't, until I manually opened the valve. I'm still not 100% convinced that's the only issue but as it is relatively cheap and easy, I've ordered a replacement motor for the valve and will see what happens.
The hot water valve leaked a year ago and was replaced but the heating one has been there at least 28 years. As we didn't have a thermostat before, it was only used once or twice a day and only in winter, adding a thermostat means it is used more frequently and maybe that has made a difference, who knows. At least we have heat!

Final update on this thread. I replaced the synchron motor for the motorised valve and everything has worked flawlessly since.
It's too early to tell but, even in a big old house where every radiator has a trv, adding a thermostat has helped me control the heating more effectively and the fact that I can do it remotely and flexibly means the Hive setup was a good investment.
Overall, with the decent instructions and, crucially, access to information from threads like this and validation from experts like @stem this is a job that someone with little knowledge but basic skills and a logical approach can do themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back